User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what my Towing Guide for my Ford said and my Trucks manual also and I qoute.

"Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight should be 10% (15% for 5th-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo must not cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label."

I have never found anything different that you can exceed the GVWR and load to Axle ratings in writing other than what people claim on the internet.

If that requirement of not exceeding the GVWR is not concern to you and the legal aspect is bogus I guess the sky is the limit. I believe that if you towing with F250 with payload of 2000 pounds pulling a 5er dry pin weighting in 2100 it wouldn't be big legal jump that accident could at least in part being over loaded since with dry pin of 2100 could a camping pin weight of over 3000 pounds plus. I guess we will have to disagree but that's fine since I believe if people are exceeding manufacture specs at least know they are and make up there minds it the risk is worth the rewards.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think what you're looking for is written anywhere. You have to look at the definitions of each.

GVWR is a number selected by the manufacturer based on what certification standards they want to certify the vehicle to. Each class has different stopping distances, safety standards, etc. By offering the same vehicle with different GVWR's, the buyers can select the classification that works best for them. In some states the registration cost depends on GVWR, as does insurance and other things. Commercial operators are usually weight restricted and may be fined if they are caught exceeding the GVWR that they are licensed for. In my case, staying under 26,001# combination weight is about my only consideration. I wouldn't consider GVWR to be a manufacture's "spec" - rather it is a certification standard. Exceeding GVWR may not be legal (in some instances), but it is not per se dangerous.

OTOH, axle ratings are what the axle/spring/tire system is designed to carry. Exceed this at your own risk. For instance, I know that if I sufficiently exceed a tire's rating it will blow out.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also look at the Gross Combined weight rating, GCWR. It is an indication of what the drivetrain and brakes are rated for. If you aren't over on any axle or gross of the trailer, have load proportions correct, and don't exceed GCWR, you should be fine.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. This is some of the best data I've seen. I'll be looking at it closely.

Don
    Reflection 150 Series 295RL

2017 Ford F250, 6.7 Liter V8 Turbo Diesel, 4WD, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Tow Package, 440 HP, 925 lb/ft Torque, 15,400 lb Towing Capacity, Max Payload 2,250 lbs

Ecclesiastes 9:11 - I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    Thanks everyone. This is some of the best data I've seen. I'll be looking at it closely.

Don
    Worth exactly what you paid for it. Maybe not even that much.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for the payload information. I went back and looked at my TV, and the payload is around 2,200 or 2,300 lbs, depending on how you look at it. That sounds more accurate to me. I'm going to be looking more at the info above as we shop for a fifth wheel TT. We're okay going smaller and lighter than the MKS320. We currently have a small standard TT - Lance 1885 - which we like, but we're ready to make the move to a fifth wheel.
    Don
    Reflection 150 Series 295RL

2017 Ford F250, 6.7 Liter V8 Turbo Diesel, 4WD, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Tow Package, 440 HP, 925 lb/ft Torque, 15,400 lb Towing Capacity, Max Payload 2,250 lbs

Ecclesiastes 9:11 - I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to see what a trade for a F350 would cost you. The net difference might be around $3-$4k if you negotiate well. Long term you will be happier.

I traded in a 3 month old 2016 F150XLT for my 2017 F350.

My F150XLT had a payload of 1964 lbs and the F250s I looked at only added an additional 250lbs of payload where a F350 added 1500 lbs more. I was having serious sway issues with my F150XLT towing an Imagine 2800BH.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    We like the layout of the MKS320, but have never had a fifth wheel before. We'd like to know from those who are more experienced, can we tow an MKS320 with our TV (specs in signature block)?

Don
    Don- I have the same truck with similar trim. Max Payload on mine is 2290. We liked the MKS320 also. It's a bit heavier than the MKS307 that we currently have and has a larger shower and better bedroom layout. Unfortunately, we are maxed out with our current setup so decided we couldn't upgrade to the 320 without also upgrading truck to a 350 : - (

Blair
    Barb and Blair, retired and loving it
    2017 F250 Lariat Super Cab, Short bed, 4x4, diesel, Tow Technology Bundle, Pullrite 16K Autoslide
    2017 Reflection 307MKS, 3/17 Build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The CAT scales are your friend. Load up the truck with fuel, passengers and junk, and head for the nearest truck stop. Pull the truck on the scales with the steer and drive axles on the front two plates (separate plates). You'll get weights for the front axle (steer), the rear axle (drive), and the total weight. Add 200 lbs. to the scale weight for the rear axle for the hitch you don't have yet (50 lbs. if you plan to use an Andersen Ultimate). Subtract the scale numbers from the numbers on the door sticker that lists axle capacities: the difference between the scaled weight (plus hitch number) and sticker capacity for the rear axle is what you'll actually be able to carry in pin weight. As CWSWINE mentioned, using 23% of the trailer's GVWR is a safe bet for a fully-loaded pin weight. For example, we are loaded at around 13,400 lbs. most of the time and our pin weight runs between 2,900 and 3,200 lbs. depending on our recent "diet." A 13,990 GVWR fifth wheel is a very close call for any 3/4-ton SRW diesel truck.

Rob
    ^^^^ This ^^^^
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for the great advice. We've been looking at the lighter 150 series Reflections, and a couple look promising. We'll continue to research.
    Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12