Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lubricating slideouts

Hi all,

I have a newbie question. We will finally be able to take our new Reflection TT for a test run next weekend, and we're looking forward to it! I keep reading everything here, and am learning very quickly about lots of things. But for this one, I did a search and got a little bit over-whelmed with trying to find an answer.

My question.... do we apply grease or lube, or something, to the slides?

We have had our TT parked next to the house, plugged in, with the 2 back slides out. Bedroom slide is not out, as it's a little bit of a tight fit. We live in a very dusty environment, especially this time of the year, with the spring winds blowing. And, I see the "dust" on the slide out supports, or whatever they're called.

I've read some things about using a dry lube, or something like that, so I would imagine that before we head out, they should be wiped down or sprayed off, so nothing gets retracted in.

Thanks for any guidance!!
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When we were at the Indiana Rally in 2016, Lippert recommended a dry lubricant for the electric slide outs. I believe it was CRC dry lubricant with PTFE. Once applied and dry, it resists accumulation of dust and dirt so you shouldn't have to clean it. Maybe another owner can confirm the brand and type of lubricant.

Jim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!!!! It's kind of what we thought, but that makes perfect sense.

By the way.... I love this forum!
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dry lubricant is good advice. Certainly will help.

What I'll say about the dust is you'd be better off wiping it down.

I wouldn't say you live in an area that most manuals are written for. If you live in an excessively dry desert area and get accumulation of sand / dust you'd be better off cleaning it off. Sand is a very hard and abrasive. Running that though side rails moving around probably isn't the best idea. Quick wipe down when in situations like that prior to closing would likely keep things in better shape.

Folks in areas that aren't prone to epic amounts of dust likely don't have to worry about it. Obviously keeping things tidy is always best though and the further you deviate from the normal the more likely it is you should take extra steps to prevent issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When y'all refer to "slide rails" are those the rack and pinion gears that are under the slide, or is it that silver tube? if it is the silver tube how do you lube it? Thanks for the information.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wire Wrat! The "silver tube" you mention is probably the hydraulic cylinder shaft that moves the slide on the rack and pinion gear. I believe the owners manual says do not use lube on the shaft. Just wipe off any dust or dirt before retracting the slides.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    When we were at the Indiana Rally in 2016, Lippert recommended a dry lubricant for the electric slide outs. I believe it was CRC dry lubricant with PTFE. Once applied and dry, it resists accumulation of dust and dirt so you shouldn't have to clean it. Maybe another owner can confirm the brand and type of lubricant.

Jim
    Yes that is correct CRC with PTFE. Green can with red lettering. I bought mine on Amazon.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.