Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Grand Design

Hi all, We just put a deposit on a 2018 28BH Reflection 5er. This will be my first RV by Grand Design. We’ve owned multiple RVs from diesel pushers to 22’ bumper pull. We are excited for this new 5er. We have 2 boys, 13&10 a 14lb Boston terrier dog that travels with us.

Anything good, bad or indifferent about this brand or model I’m all ears.

I hope to learn from your experience and help to give my 2 pennies when I could be of help.

Cheers

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! If you want to know about Grand Design products and the company that stands behind them, just read the many threads that discuss these topics. The vast majority of owners are pleased with their units, and very, very pleased with the after sale customer service of GD. The dealers are often “too busy” selling trailers to service them well, but a call to GD generally gets you authorization to use any service vender (except for Camping World).

A good Pre-Delivery Inspection will do wonders toward avoiding those small but pesky problems that usually occur. If you or the dealer discover an issue prior to you leaving the lot, be sure to have them correct it prior to taking your unit home. Otherwise you may have lots of downtime to get th she issues fixed. Dealer service slows down tremendously after the sale.
    The good news is dealers have said more than once, that GD units come to them with less issues than other brands.

If you need one, there are PDI checklists in the “Reference Library” section of this forum that you can print out to help you conduct a thorough inspection.

Again, welcome aboard!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! We just picked up our 28bh a couple of days ago. This is our first RV ever! We have triplet 6 yr old boys. This layout seemed like the best for us. It's got enough room for the kids, yet it's not so long. And it's not heavy enough to trigger me having to get a class A non-commerical license in California.

I've already got a list of things to do:
    1) First order of business is to get a tv mounted in the bedroom. I'm going to measure it tomorrow to see what the largest set is I can get in there.
    2) Then I need to get Roku boxes for each of the tv sets. I've got all sorts of movies and tv shows that I can run through the Roku. Originally I was going to network all the sets through a central server, but that's probably overkill for our part-time use.
    3) I'll also look into upgrading the existing speakers or adding a small surround system to the main living area.
    4) Bedroom tv will have either wired or wireless headphones so we don't disturb others after sundown
    5) Need to upgrade the fan in the bathroom from the standard fan to the Fantastic Fan.
    6) Change the existing shower head to the Oxygenics Fury.
    7) I was going to change out the water heater to the tankless Truma Aqua Go, since we like to take long showers. But others have stated that if you run the Atwood unit that comes with the trailer on both electric and propane at the same time, there's more than enough hot water. We shall see.
    8) I may have DrainMasters add their Waste Master Enclosure system to store the stinky slinky and make it easier to hook up the dump lines. However since the 2nd grey tank (for the shower) is further in the back of the trailer, I will have to consult with them to see if this is a feasable mod.
    9) Need to wire in a true battery shut-off switch
    10) I have 2 lead acid batteries right now. I will eventually swap them out for tow AGM batteries.
    11) I'm going to see if I can replace the outdoor kitchen burner with a high performance butane type grill. Most butane grills should work with the on-board propane. I can salvage the wings of the existing burners to protect the trailer from the heat of the hi po burner.

I'm sure I'll come up with more stuff to do. But right now I want to get as much done as possible before we take off for a 12 week summer trip.

Cheers!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlfMdeFmly View Post
    Hi all, We just put a deposit on a 2018 28BH Reflection 5er. This will be my first RV by Grand Design. We’ve owned multiple RVs from diesel pushers to 22’ bumper pull. We are excited for this new 5er. We have 2 boys, 13&10 a 14lb Boston terrier dog that travels with us.

Anything good, bad or indifferent about this brand or model I’m all

I hope to learn from your experience and help to give my 2 pennies when I could be of help.

Cheers
    Congratulations! Welcome to our group!
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum. It's a great place to connect with fellow campers and learn a great deal of information. It's an exciting feeling getting something new. We also have a 28BH. It's a great floor plan at a very manageable size. Lots of things to love about it. We have two younger children who love having their own double bunk. Room for them to grow! Grand Design says it will sleep 10 people or so. I personally won't ever have the need to sleep that many people so I kind of wish the tri-gold sofa would be switched out for the Thomas & Payne theater seats. It would be nice to have seating where you can put your feet up to relax. We ended up buying a storage ottoman to help with that. If it's something you may think you want, maybe you can work out a trade prior to delivery. I like really the dinette because we generally eat there for breakfast and on rainy days and it seats our family of four comfortably. There are so many things to like with this camper and with Grand Design in general. Congratulations again and hopefully you and your family enjoy the unit for many years to come.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI if you are thinking of getting an observation or rear camera, get the Furrion. I just installed ours today. Easy peasy. Took 5 min to take the cover off and screw it into place in the back of the trailer. My only mistake was I should have paired it first. I had to dismount it, pair it, and then remount it.

It paired up really quickly.

The view from the monitor is wide and deep, and I think it will be a great help when changing lanes and backing up.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the replies. We pick it up April 28th.