Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going Moab to Denver

We are in the planning stage for next year's trip. We are going to be in Moab in April to see Arches National Park and from there to Denver. Rather than taking I70 to Denver, we are thinking about picking up US 50 at Grand Junction and going over to 285 and taking it to Denver for a more scenic route. We will be towing a 337RSL with a Ram 3500 Cummins. I've driven those roads before but we were in a car. As I recall, that route seemed to okay to tow on but that was 19 years ago and I'm sure my memory isn't perfect. So, am I nuts to consider this route or should I stick to I70?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest not being in Moab from April 13-21 next year unless you really like Jeeps. That is Easter Jeep Safari week and there will be thousands of Jeepers there. I live three hours from Moab and I won't go there that week.

I used to live in Colorado for 35 years, and have driven 285 and 50 many times, but always in a car, so I can't remember the perspective of towing a trailer. However April is also one of the snowiest months in Colorado, so I would't recommend traveling those highways with a trailer unless you have a backup plan of waiting out a snowstorm. I would stick to I-70 in April.
    Patrick
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7
    2018 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjeeper View Post
    I would suggest not being in Moab from April 13-21 next year unless you really like Jeeps. That is Easter Jeep Safari week and there will be thousands of Jeepers there. I live three hours from Moab and I won't go there that week.

I used to live in Colorado for 35 years, and have driven 285 and 50 many times, but always in a car, so I can't remember the perspective of towing a trailer. However April is also one of the snowiest months in Colorado, so I would't recommend traveling those highways with a trailer unless you have a backup plan of waiting out a snowstorm. I would stick to I-70 in April.
    Thanks, Patrick, for the heads up on the Jeep event in Moab. We will be there a week or so later. It sounds like Sturgis when the bikers are there. It looks like we'll be sticking to the super slab.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watch the weather while in Moab. Then make your route decision. Lot more to see off the super slab. JMHO
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pulled my Momentum over those roads with my Chevy 3500 Duramax.

+1 on watching the weather.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsp8 View Post
    Just watch the weather while in Moab. Then make your route decision. Lot more to see off the super slab. JMHO
    Getting to see more is the plan, just want to be smart about it. Thanks for the input.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I have pulled my Momentum over those roads with my Chevy 3500 Duramax.

+1 on watching the weather.
    I'm glad to know that given the right conditions, it's doable. I'll definitely be watching the weather