User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Najataagihe View Post
    Yikes!

I finally got the chance to measure the tongue weight on my 2950RL.

Fresh water tank 3/4 full, battery and two full LP tanks.

1500#!

Thank goodness my hitch is rated for 1500#, but I hate to run at the max., so some emptying of fresh water seems in order.

Grand Design needs to stop advertising this thing as 1/2-ton towable, since most (if not all) 1/2-tons come with a Class IV hitch - which maxes out at 1000# tongue weight.

Be careful!
    Class IV hitches per the rate designation are rated for 1400lb hitch weight on WDH and 14000 lb max towing. I think some of the manufacturers state class IV hitch but they don't meet the standard from what I have seen.

Rob

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Class IV hitches per the rate designation are rated for 1400lb hitch weight on WDH and 14000 lb max towing. I think some of the manufacturers state class IV hitch but they don't meet the standard from what I have seen.

Rob
    Hi Rob,
    the same could be said for tow vehicle receivers. On my old truck the factory receiver was listed as class IV but the sticker on it listed 1000# max TW with distributed hitch, 900# without WDH, max trailer weight 10K#. I installed a class V receiver. Then again I don't know if receivers follow the same classifications as tow hitches or not, can't see why they wouldn't.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Hi Rob,
    the same could be said for tow vehicle receivers. On my old truck the factory receiver was listed as class IV but the sticker on it listed 1000# max TW with distributed hitch, 900# without WDH, max trailer weight 10K#. I installed a class V receiver. Then again I don't know if receivers follow the same classifications as tow hitches or not, can't see why they wouldn't.
    Yes my terminology was not correct. I was talking tow vehicle receiver as well. Thanks for the clarification.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the vehicle manufacturer de-rates their 2" "Class IV" hitch receiver from the 1400 lbs that a Class IV hitch is rated for . . . this is usually because something else in the truck is the limiting factor. This is most likely the frame rails that the hitch receiver bolts to.

(another) Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post

Rob
    You are right.

I was referring to weight-carrying capacity and hitch weight.

However, I have seen references to Class IV hitches only having 1200# tongue weight capacity.

Moral: Check YOUR vehicle's hitch sticker!

8)
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12