User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Progressive Industries EMS and Reflection AC

I have a recently installed 50 amp hard wired EMS-HW50C in my 2017 Reflection 337.

The EMS is set to default 16 seconds time delay before power is passed through. I assumed that the Trailer's AC had compressor delays built in so I left it at default rather than remove the jumper to increase the delay to 126 seconds.

The other day we had a very short loss of power, possibly only 1/2 second or so. The TV turned off and the AC fan stopped and immediately started again. So the EMS did not go through the 16 second delay. The AC compressor was heard to struggle to restart. I turned the AC off for a few minutes to prevent damage.

My concern is that the very short loss of power did not cause the EMS to start a delay timer. I will call progressive and ask them if the unit should start a delay timer with a short power loss.

The other question is do the Factory AC units have a compressor delay when there is power loss? I know that when the AC starts there is a 10 second or so delay from fan to compressor starting.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progressive Industries said that it’s mormal for the power on delay timer not start with a very short loss of power.

Other unanswered question is, does the factory AC and refridgerator have a compressor delay with loss of power?
    Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A/Cs with Digital Thermostats usually have a time delay function built in the thermostat, their operating manual may say.
    Atwood Air Command A/C manual Operating Instructions - The compressor will have a delayed start usually 3 minutes before unit starts to cool.
    Note: Any interruption to the power supply will cause the unit to delay compressor start up.

Not sure if a brief power interruption like during thunderstorms would give RV frig time to switch from 120VAC to LP.

At home I added some you might call "mini" EMS brownout surge protectors with 3 minute time delays because of numerous power blips during some thunderstorms damaged the frig's compressor start relay a few times.

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d like to try and revive this thread with a statement and a question.
    First, according to EMS MANUAL the factory delay is 15sec and the alternate setting is 136sec (2:16). My question is how if any does the EMS work with my OEM installed Mini-EMS (thru the PCS Monitor); you know the system that sheds power from AC’s and / or washer dryer. I can’t find any information on AC compressor delays thru the mini-EMS (PCS)?
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVLife68 View Post
    I’d like to try and revive this thread with a statement and a question.
    First, according to EMS MANUAL the factory delay is 15sec and the alternate setting is 136sec (2:16). My question is how if any does the EMS work with my OEM installed Mini-EMS (thru the PCS Monitor); you know the system that sheds power from AC’s and / or washer dryer. I can’t find any information on AC compressor delays thru the mini-EMS (PCS)?
    Going by what a couple of PCS's PDFs say: a 2 minute minimum off delay when a load is shed.
    http://precisioncircuitsinc.com/cate...gy-management/

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...i-Manual-A.pdf
    Power will be automatically restored and the indicator illuminated, once other appliances in the RV have been turned off, and 2 minutes has passed.

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...em-Mini-D1.pdf
    Delay: 2 minute minimum off time on all loads
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I should be able to leave the Progressive Industries EMS set to 15 sec or as double safety net ( as the delay is about the same; minimum 2 min) I can adjust the EMS to 2:16 delay. This sound right?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but don't let the two different systems confuse you. The P.I. system's job is not really related to the job you other system does. P.I. looks more for power problems such as over and under voltage, open neutrals, open grounds, off frequency ( more of a generator issue for that one), anything that may be wired incorrectly from the pedestal, reverse polarity, etc. Your other EMS system, as I understand it is more focused on overloaded usage (current) , and being able to shed devices off line to keep the current within its parameters or not overloaded.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but don't let the two different systems confuse you. The P.I. system's job is not really related to the job you other system does. P.I. looks more for power problems such as over and under voltage, open neutrals, open grounds, off frequency ( more of a generator issue for that one), anything that may be wired incorrectly from the pedestal, reverse polarity, etc. Your other EMS system, as I understand it is more focused on overloaded usage (current) , and being able to shed devices off line to keep the current within its parameters or not overloaded.
    That was my understanding too. However I thought I’d ask. Besides my main question got answered which was greater then 2 minimal on a power failure. Also as I said, I think I’m going to set the EMS to 2:16 (136sec). Now if there are any power issues thru either system the AC compressors will be fine. Hopefully that makes sense now.
    that make sense now.

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry, I am a new owner of a used 2015 Reflection 337RLS. I, too, have purchased the Progressive Industries EMS, for surge protection. My question is where, exactly, did you locate the unit in your rig? I am trying to figure out the best location to intercept the incoming power and find enough slack in the cable. Wondering how you did it. Any hints?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson Beifuss View Post
    Jerry, I am a new owner of a used 2015 Reflection 337RLS. I, too, have purchased the Progressive Industries EMS, for surge protection. My question is where, exactly, did you locate the unit in your rig? I am trying to figure out the best location to intercept the incoming power and find enough slack in the cable. Wondering how you did it. Any hints?

Thanks.
    Jefferson, welcome to the forum.

I mounted my EMS directly behind my breaker panel. I would not do it the same way again. I would mount the EMS in the basement behind the wall where all the plumbing and electric stuff is. There’s much more room to mount the EMS there. If you stuff it behind the Breaker panel it’s very tight.

I would buy a 6’ piece of NM-B 6/3 romex from Home Depot or Lowe’s. It’s cheap at about $2.00/foot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...0099/204632777 Then connect that romex to the output side of the EMS. Do that on the work bench before you mount the EMS. It’s much easier to work with the stiff 6 AWG wire sitting at a work bench.

I would then remove the existing 6/3 NM-B cable from the Circiut breaker box and pull it back under the floor behind the panel in the basement and connect it to the input side of the EMS. . Then route the short piece from the EMS output side back up to the breaker panel and connect it to the 50 amp breaker, neutral car and ground bar. Then screw the EMS to the floor in the basement behind the wall. (You will need a #2 Robertson square drive screwdriver to remove the screws from the basement wall panel) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...-662/202282844

If you buy a 6’ length of 6/3 you will have more than enough to mount the EMS down below. You can always cut it shorter. If you ever want to remove the EMS you can just reconnect the existing 6/3 back into the panel.

Hope this helps.
    Jerry & Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast