Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solar Upgrade

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Paul & Jim - 10.5 Volts is an absolutely dead battery. I am surprised that your inverters can pull the batteries down that low. This is definitely down to "permanent damage". I know that the inverter on my boat kicks itself off at about the time my independent Victron meter is showing around 50% state of charge. That is my only reference. There must be some device that can shut off the inverter to protect the batteries if no one is there to do it manually .

Rob
    My concern as well but they charged right back up. How can i tell if they suffered "permanent damage"? I would rather replace them at $135 apiece rather than have them fail me while I'm out boondocking next week.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that 10.5v loaded will show higher when the loads shut off. Couldn't say how much and no way to know for sure unless your looking but with a substantial load, when the inverter shuts that load down, the indicated voltage will be a bit higher, maybe over 11v. Judging by the comments, maybe that is why the threshold is set the way it is. Just thinking out loud...
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The batteries are probably OK. Deep cycle batteries are designed for, ... well deep cycling. While full discharge is not recommended, and will shorten their life, one even should not be catastrophic.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    My concern as well but they charged right back up. How can i tell if they suffered "permanent damage"? I would rather replace them at $135 apiece rather than have them fail me while I'm out boondocking next week.
    Hi Paul - The best way to know the condition of any battery is give it a "load" test. Battery places have sophisticated machines for doing this and you could take the battery there, but an inexpensive one of your own will give you basically the same information. You simply connect it to the battery and watch how much the voltage drops when the test instrument load is applied. (It's basically a 12V or 6V heating element in a box) Strong/weak/bad are right on the instrument face.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Load Tester.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post
    Keep in mind that 10.5v loaded will show higher when the loads shut off. Couldn't say how much and no way to know for sure unless your looking but with a substantial load, when the inverter shuts that load down, the indicated voltage will be a bit higher, maybe over 11v. Judging by the comments, maybe that is why the threshold is set the way it is. Just thinking out loud...
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    The batteries are probably OK. Deep cycle batteries are designed for, ... well deep cycling. While full discharge is not recommended, and will shorten their life, one even should not be catastrophic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Paul - The best way to know the condition of any battery is give it a "load" test. Battery places have sophisticated machines for doing this and you could take the battery there, but an inexpensive one of your own will give you basically the same information. You simply connect it to the battery and watch how much the voltage drops when the test instrument load is applied. (It's basically a 12V or 6V heating element in a box) Strong/weak/bad are right on the instrument face.

Rob
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Radpi1, that is exactly what I think I observed. I don't know why it tripped me up at first.

BTW guys, so yesterday evening (the batteries had been back to full state of charge for a day) I turned the inverter back on, started our 110 fan and light in the bedroom, turned on the television and set a movie to play. All things we would do in an evening. I went out at 10 pm and shut it all off and the battery was at about 81% SOC, which was typical for what I would normally see. I went out this morning at 8 am and the batteries are already back to full charge. So .... I think I'm good to go.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's great news Paul. Tear 'em up at Crowley.

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    That's great news Paul. Tear 'em up at Crowley.

Jim
    Man I hope to but history has told me that opening weekend is much more about hanging with my buddies, camping, fishing, drinking, eating but not catching many fish. I'm hoping this year will produce more fish! This year my best friend's son bought a trailer so we will have 4 rigs and "circling the wagons" which will be fun.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be new to fifth wheel trailers when my Reflection 150 Series 230RL arrives, but I have been camping in a Four Wheel Camper Hawk Pop-up truck camper for going on 9 years.

I plan on upgrading to a roof-top solar system after a short break-in period, so I have a quick question: why the upgrade in the PV controller when you upgraded to 400 watts? From what I've seen, a 30A controller should have handled up to 400W's. Or is my math flaky?

David
    2019 Reflection 230RL
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 4WD, Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V-8, Double Cab, Standard Bed

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To answer your question, Paul went from a PWM controller to a MPPT controller.

Jim

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week I ordered another 100 watt panel and a new 40 amp Rover MPPT. I mounted the new panel and reconnected my panels in series.
    The series configuration supported by an MPPT controller is more efficient due to lower wire loss because of the higher voltage and lower current. I have a single SolarWorld 72 cell 340 watt panel with an max power voltage of 38 volts at 9 amps feeding an MPPT controller for the same reasons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12