Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2016 27RL and Anderson Ultimate hitch question

Hi everyone,

Just purchased a 2016 27RL Reflection and a 2018 one ton Chevy Diesel. I've opted to go with a 6-1/2 foot bed and Anderson Ultimate hitch which hasn't arrived yet. My question for you all you RV'ers out there with more experience, is how to mount the king pin coupler? Forward Position - keeping the nose of camper further from truck and pin box closer to sides of truck or the Rearward Position - keeping the nose of camper closer to truck and pin box further from the sides of truck?

Also the truck came with a fifth wheel prep package and goose-neck ball already installed on the vehicle. The pucks for the safety chains actually interfere with the Anderson hitch and was wondering what options people have looked at for safety chains?

Thank you,

MItch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ansersen has a plate for the safety chains that goes onto the ball. The ball is inserted through the chain plate holding it down.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitch, The majority of owners with short bed trucks appear to use the "rearward" position. I have tried it both ways and on MY truck, rearward is better. As you know, each truck is different but that position allows the "wings" of the pin box to turn tighter without hitting the bed rail. I was fine with the other direction, but this is still better.

Regarding the safety chains (which I despise), Lexx is right and now they have this plate that attaches. I am using a B&W turnover ball (no pucks) which has the safety chain loops on in and I cut through the bed. That plate was not available then, and appears to make it easier now if it fits your truck.

If you want or need pictures, I have several of GMC with turning radius. Hope that helps.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me add to the adapter mounting confusion.

In the forward position - with more than 6" of bedrail clearance - my pinbox wings grazed the bedrail in a dip so I moved it to the aft position. Then I lowered the rear of the truck and raised the hitch ball which allowed me to turn the adapter back to the forward position - which increased the tailgate clearance to the front of the fiver.

Clear as mud? <G> There is no right or wrong answer (within reason), you just have to make adjustments knowing what else is affected.

As far as the chains go - Indiana seems to be the only state that requires them. Lots of people say they are required, but can't cite a regulation. They are not required in Texas and I carry a copy of the motor vehicle code in my TV.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gold Country,

Yes if you could show me some pictures that would be great!! I'm starting to feel as if I made a mistake with the Anderson hitch and a short bed but time will tell.... The plate, (in my opinion) is somewhat worthless as if the goose-neck breaks away then the safety chains are attached to it.

Overall are you pretty happy with your Anderson? How close does the front of the camper come to your back window of your truck?

Mitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very happy with it and would buy again. Did the B&W install myself (underneath part). Many people here prefer the slider hitch for short bed. Here are various pix.

The last one really shows the stress being on asphalt as the trailer is really resisting that. It is also a slight grade and I would not normally do that.

2"-4" at the cab,...but remember to watch for dips or potholes. But this is a pretty extreme angle also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new hitch setting 2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	12357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new hitch setting 5.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	12358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new hitch setting 9.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	12359
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Gold Country Livin' says . . . watch for dips or potholes. Folks tend to check their clearances in a level parking lot and then expect that this will stay the same when the trailer twists one way and the truck dips the other. This goes for any fixed point hitch in a short bed truck . . . not just the Andersen. I'm a "slider hitch only" guy . . . but, I won't get into that .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, I know you are right now just shaking your head. The slider is an awesome beast as is your eco-boost 1/2T truck. We just have to agree to disagree. I like GM's even with the 3/4T diesel (read fat!) and I like the Andersen. If I ever crash into that rear window, I probably won't let you know cus you would say I told you so!
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gold Country,

Thank you for the photos!!! It appears the back of your pin box does not come close to your truck bed sides? That was my concern having it mounted in the forward position and just barely clearing the truck bed sides and having the camper tilt to the right or left and doing damage to the pickup bed itself. I'm assuming in these photos the coupler is mounted in the rearward position placing the camper closer to your cab, am I correct?

My truck looks identical to yours!!! I went with a 3500HD. Do you use the lowest, middle or highest ball setting?

Mitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pictures of my most recent adjustment. This is with the ball height on middle and the reversed adapter (ball to the rear). I have since raised it to top hole but had 6" minimum to bed rail when level, now 7" +-. I have a friend with the new '17 model and similar config. Not sure if the newer '18 model is even higher.

Here is a pix of the pin box and this was when the other pictures here were taken at same time and angle. On the level, with reversed adapter, pin box not close to rail, but when it was ball forward, was much closer to rail. If you scan around here, there are other pictures of these. "Jerryr" had several I believe which were well documented.

I am using the magnet approach for the pull pin which I stole from another on this forum. Harbor Freight 3" I believe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magnet latch 1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	12362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new hitch setting 3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	12363
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast