User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best theft deterrents is to make sure the landing gear power is turned off and can't be powered from a TV. Unless they are trying to steal your trailer with a tow truck, if they can't hitch it up and raise the stabilizers and landing gear, they will move on to the next one.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    One of the best theft deterrents is to make sure the landing gear power is turned off and can't be powered from a TV. Unless they are trying to steal your trailer with a tow truck, if they can't hitch it up and raise the stabilizers and landing gear, they will move on to the next one.

Rob
    That's a great idea. Did you do this yourself? Did you cut into the line going to the landing gear motors and put in a hidden switch? Do you have autolevel on your Reflection?

John
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perfpix View Post
    That's a great idea. Did you do this yourself? Did you cut into the line going to the landing gear motors and put in a hidden switch? Do you have autolevel on your Reflection?

John
    Hi John - I have a complete disconnect battery switch. The key is to make sure the trailer battery charge wire from the truck is on the battery side of this switch. So, even power from connecting the umbilical to a tow vehicle can't power the landing gear or stabilizer switches. I do not have auto level . . . but this concept should work if auto level is powered off in a similar manner.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about to wire in a true battery disconnect. So the autolevel won't work. But those compartment locks are so flimsy someone could easily break them. I suppose I could hide the battery disconnect at a really remote location, but a long run of wire probably isn't a good idea and it'd be a real hassle to do.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember to check whether your auto level powers up by plugging into a (running) tow vehicle, even if your battery disconnect switch is off.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Remember to check whether your auto level powers up by plugging into a (running) tow vehicle, even if your battery disconnect switch is off.

Rob
    Good point. Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another option that I just came across. Was researching King Pin tripods to stabilize the 5th wheel and came across this: http://tweetys.com/ultra-fab-19-9502...in-tripod.aspx

The tripod locks onto the King Pin with a padlock. So someone would have to defeat the lock and remove the tripod to hook up. Plus you get the added benefit of stabilizing the 5th wheel.

John
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perfpix View Post
    Was researching King Pin tripods . . . . John
    Interesting how these discussions weave together (I forgot about the tripod lock)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As we all know almost every lock can be defeated but really what we are trying to do is make our rig harder to steal then the one next to us. Most thieves are lazy and opportunists. If there’s two RV’s sitting side by side in a storage yard and one has a stout looking lock/chain/what have you and the one next to it has a $5 padock securing it, guess which one is likely to disappear?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got done printing up the return label to Ft Knox Locks. It was strangely satisfying

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast