Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer disc brake upgrade vs tow vehicle big brake kit upgrade

Looking at a couple disc brake conversions for the trailer like these.

https://performancetrailerbraking.com/

Then i got to thinking why not do a Big Brake kit for my tow vehicle so i would get the benefit of better braking while not towing as well.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/14...Brake-Kit.html

They would be close to the same money either way with the trailer kit coming in slightly less. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding more brakes to your truck won't add nearly the stopping power that a trailer brake upgrade will. I've been pushed through an intersection by a loaded trailer with all 4 truck tires smoking and sliding. Bigger rotors and calipers can't give you more grip on the road like another 4 wheels with good brakes can.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've towed my Reflection 303 in basically three different configurations.
    1) 3 out of 4 trailer brakes heavily greased (so the truck was doing most of the braking)
    2) Properly functioning electric drum brakes on the trailer (trailer was still pushing the truck when braking)
    3) EoH disc brakes on the trailer (gain set so the trailer is pulling back on the truck under heavy braking)

I can tell you (as many others on this forum will attest to) that scenario 3 is by far the most secure feeling and shortest stopping distance of the three.

Braking is limited by the tire contact with the road. Better to spread this across 8 tire contact patches than just 4.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To echo John and "Other Rob," there is NOTHING that compares to upgrading the brakes on the trailer. Even with a 1-ton DRW truck, our rig stops in about 40% of the distance at a given speed with the hydraulic disc brakes that it did with the OEM electric drum brakes - and with much less effort and adrenaline.

(This) Rob

Edit/P.S. - too much braking power on the tow vehicle and not enough on the trailer also increases the chances of jack-knifing.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Edit/P.S. - too much braking power on the tow vehicle and not enough on the trailer also increases the chances of jack-knifing.
    That can go the other way on slippery surfaces. Too much braking on the trailer can cause the trailer brakes to lock up while the truck wheels are still rolling. Truck ABS makes this even more likely. Sliding tires have no directional stability, so any side force (curve or even crown in the road) and the sliding trailer will pass the truck. I back off my trailer brake gain (and drive accordingly) on wet or slippery surfaces to make sure that the trailer tires never stop rolling.

(another) Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailer disc brakes should be standard. After converting to disc brakes it’s easy to forget there’s s trailer behind you when yoou need to brake. Unless you have experienced the difference it’s hard to imagine.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience has been the same as above......three of the six brakes had grease all over them.....kind of feels like there's no brakes on the trailer at all.

Had Performance Trailer Braking put the disc brakes on and it's a huge difference when all of a sudden it feels like the trailer is stopping the truck instead of feeling like the trailer is pushing the truck. Also, your tires and brake pads are going to last much longer if your truck brakes are only stopping your truck and your trailer brakes are stopping your trailer instead of your truck brakes (regardless of size) stopping both.

Here's a link to some photos that might help you decide...... https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post130152
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I've towed my Reflection 303 in basically three different configurations.
    1) 3 out of 4 trailer brakes heavily greased (so the truck was doing most of the braking)
    2) Properly functioning electric drum brakes on the trailer (trailer was still pushing the truck when braking)
    3) EoH disc brakes on the trailer (gain set so the trailer is pulling back on the truck under heavy braking)

I can tell you (as many others on this forum will attest to) that scenario 3 is by far the most secure feeling and shortest stopping distance of the three.

Braking is limited by the tire contact with the road. Better to spread this across 8 tire contact patches than just 4.

Rob
    I had the same three scenarios as above. After towing with the disc brakes, I will not do any fifth wheel towing without them !!!
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics. I talked to those guys in Norman today. Very professional and they come to you for the install. When i convince myself to pull the trigger I’m using them.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gem1n1 View Post
    Great pics. I talked to those guys in Norman today. Very professional and they come to you for the install. When i convince myself to pull the trigger I’m using them.
    I went to Norman, Ok. stayed at the fairgrounds RV park and Preston and a couple other guys came to me and did it right there at the fair grounds. Very organized.....it's very quickly obvious that those guys have done a lot of them and they all know what they're doing. Fast, neat and they leave the area very clean and spotless!
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast