User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our 2014 303 it was the weld that broke not the metal. You can see that there was only about 1 inch of weld holding it together for some time by the rust where the weld had been. Could be why they shipped the old bracket back to Lippert so they could examine it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been a certified welder since the early 80's. I consider myself to be an expert. Many of the people that worked with me and for me were certified, but not in the same league. Kind of like doctors, there are amazing doctors and doctors that could kill you if given the chance. The bigger issue on RV frames should be the inspection process. I can spot a poor weld from 10 ft away. Poor welds should be rejected and repaired before the frame assembly ever leaves the weld shop. Now if there is an engineering issue, that is a totally different case. A proper weld should tear away the parent material and never fail through the weld area. A part that is incorrectly welded can possibly flex and cause surrounding welds to flex and fail.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m now new to the broken hanger club. Left rear broke, caused a bearing and axle failure. The shop can’t verify how it happened but sure it was a bad weld. LCI came out to weld a new one on. Been three months in the shop as new axles seem hard to come by. This can’t be ok. Anyone talking directly to GD? 2019 28BH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfraizz View Post
    I’m now new to the broken hanger club. Left rear broke, caused a bearing and axle failure. The shop can’t verify how it happened but sure it was a bad weld. LCI came out to weld a new one on. Been three months in the shop as new axles seem hard to come by. This can’t be ok. Anyone talking directly to GD? 2019 28BH

If this was caused by a failed weld and LCI stepped up to replace the hanger (they do this because it is a safety issue) is LCI covering the rest of the repairs? Parts are harder to come by right now but don't know if axles are affected . Pictures will show if the weld is bad , that should be enough proof.
    Did you contact GD customer service ? sometimes they can get LCI to stand up to the plate . GD is where we started when this happened to us and we were 4yrs into ownership.

Good luck with your repairs. Have the shop reinforce the hangers to avoid breaks in the future.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfraizz View Post
    Enormous shortage of axles as either entire assemblies or the spindles are made overseas. When they arrive, majority are diverted to new production. Our local trailer builder used to boast of 1000 axles in inventory every day (Dexter shop), but lucky if he's got 2 dozen! When I did the work on the Pinnacle and the Foreat River, had to have the owners be the squeaky wheels with Lippert and Dexter, respectively. Your issue is likely the consequence of having a Dexter axle hung off a Lippert hanger...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ended up needing all welds redone and added two support crossbars. Seems they really need better quality in that especially given the poor infrastructure of our roads. They say potholes are the biggest cause of failure…

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123