Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wood Capped Pier Blocks

Hello,

We are new to the forum but not new to full time RVing. I wanted to consult the forum about pier blocks. We have 9x9 inch wood capped pier blocks under the front landing gear. I like not fully extending the front gear, keeping them protected from the elements and also retaining their strength from not being extended. Has anyone used these for similar applications? They seem to be attractive and effective, but wanted to get others opinions.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good morning Colby - Welcome to the forum. We're glad you joined us.

Lots of folks use some kind of support under their front landing gear. Exactly for the reasons you state. Another benefit is that it helps keep the fifth wheel from rocking and shaking as much. The farther the landing gear is extended, the more potential shaking it's subject to.

What model of unit do you have or plan on getting?

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim, and thank you for responding. We have a 2017 384GK with dual fuel refrigerator. I am a travel MRI tech and we usually stay put for 3 months at a time near the hospital.

I am trying to post a picture of the front landing gear but need a little help. I tried to copy and paste but didn’t seem to work.

Last, should I be concerned with the possibility of the pier block cracking and crumbling? The fact that there is a built in 2x4 capped at the top makes me feel better but insure because I haven’t seen anyone else using pier blocks for this application.

Thank you!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Colby. We also have a 384GK and are full timers. We don't move around much, and don't do the extreme camping like some. We are mostly on good level ground or concrete. With that, I still use blocks, pier blocks were to heavy for me. I couldn't find a 6x10 post. So I cut and stack 2x10s to get the dimension I was looking for, for all 6 landing points. These work very well for us. I attached a short rope on each one for easy carrying. My landing gear usually don't extend more than about 6-7". I try to keep the extension minimal. After chocking the wheels, there is little to no movement. Hope you enjoy your 384GK as much we do.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone posted a photo of how you can lay alternating layers of 2x4s glued and screwed together. Looked very tough and stable.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All,

Thank you for the replies. I’ve attached a photo of the front landing gear supported with pier blocks. It’s been one month with no problems. If choosing this option, I would advise to use wood capped pier blocks only. The wood allows for a slight flex, reducing the chance of cracking.

We stay three months at a time in different locations. Our plan is to donate them to another camper at the end of each stay. At 2.50 per block it’s an attractive/cheap way to support the coach. We will be purchasing a new set at the next location. Since we are always mindful of weight, we would rather not bring them along.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9BB9679F-4BB7-4F22-A707-DE9B7E16151E.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	12594