User Tag List

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that I have the Dexter 5200# axles, but not sure how to determine the U-bolt size without actually measuring them. I have a digital caliper to do that. I assume that I can measure the diameter of the non-threaded portion of the U-bolt to get the size, correct? I also don't understand how to read the chart that Tucson Jim posted on #19 in regards to U-Bolt/Hex Nut and Flange Nut. What do I have? When you are torquing the U-Bolts, aren't you actually torquing the nuts attached to the bolts, and not the bolts themselves? As John Travolta said on Welcome Back Kotter, ... "I am so confused". That ought to date me.

Oh, and thank you for the information regarding not to loosen the U-bolt nuts because of the construction of the threads. I would never have guessed it would matter.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    I know that I have the Dexter 5200# axles, but not sure how to determine the U-bolt size without actually measuring them. I have a digital caliper to do that. I assume that I can measure the diameter of the non-threaded portion of the U-bolt to get the size, correct? I also don't understand how to read the chart that Tucson Jim posted on #19 in regards to U-Bolt/Hex Nut and Flange Nut. What do I have? When you are torquing the U-Bolts, aren't you actually torquing the nuts attached to the bolts, and not the bolts themselves? As John Travolta said on Welcome Back Kotter, ... "I am so confused". That ought to date me.

Oh, and thank you for the information regarding not to loosen the U-bolt nuts because of the construction of the threads. I would never have guessed it would matter.

Tightening the nut torques the bolt. Easy way to determine diameter of u-bolt is by using wrench size and divide by 1.5. Example 9/16 wrench = 3/8 bolt. (9/16 divide by 3/2 = 3/8). 1-1/2 converts to 3/2.
    Or use this link... https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...head-size.aspx

Hope this helps.
    LeAllan and Jessica

2019 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 XL 6.2L 4x4 3.73
    BW 3300 Ford OEM fifth wheel
    Firestone bags

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    BigGuy,

I think its important that we all follow the maintenance interval from each axle supplier since the torque specifications are slightly different between Dexter and Lippert. This will vary based on U bolt size and grade and the thickness of the axle tube. Since some folks are wondering which axles they have, the axle tag should provide this information. This is why I included the link to Lippert who also recommends the U bolt torque needs to be checked every 6K miles and has lower torque specifications than Dexter. I did not catch this until this thread so once again, this forum is great at solving issues and preventing other issues.
    Jim,

I've been at this for a while - as in decades. I mechanically review my entire suspension annually and do visuals before every trip. My point was not that we should "all follow the maintenance interval", although that's very important. My point is that when a coach comes new from the factory and is delivered, it should be SAFE. When 19 out of 24 suspension fasteners are severely loose on a brand new coach, that is not safe and it is downright dangerous, as witnessed by the photos of axles shifting on the springs. What do you think would happen if one off my 3 axles shifted on the spring at 65 MPH on a 20,000 lb. coach and ran one tire into another one? Picture this hypothetical: nice sunny day, going down the highway in traffic at 65 - hit a pothole. The loose spring gets jostled and picks that moment to slide back on the spring. The back of that tire hits the tire behind it and each tire is rotating in the opposite direction - the front of the rear one is going down and the rear of the one in front is going up. Because of the weight, rotational forces and the speed, perhaps an axle snaps. The coach lurches to one side, taking out a car next to it. The rest is what will make the nightly news - all because somebody at the factory didn't have the proper torque setting on their pneumatic wrench. And, according to the limited universe on this thread alone, this "loose u-bolt" phenomena" is not an uncommon occurrence.

The only way to change this situation is to make the manufacturer aware which is what I'm doing here. We love our Solitude, but I would be remiss if I didn't raise a red flag on a safety issue.

Safe Travels

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good information in this discussion! I think the message to GDRV is that checking U bolt torque must be on the dealer PDI. The rig probably left GDRV with the U bolts torqued correctly. The suspension attachments working through the paint on the axle during the delivery trip to the dealer could be enough to reduce the U bolt tension as much as discussed in this thread. Given everything we know about the dealers, every RV owner should own a torque wrench and use it on suspension attachments and lug nuts.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Lots of good information in this discussion! I think the message to GDRV is that checking U bolt torque must be on the dealer PDI. The rig probably left GDRV with the U bolts torqued correctly. The suspension attachments working through the paint on the axle during the delivery trip to the dealer could be enough to reduce the U bolt tension as much as discussed in this thread. Given everything we know about the dealers, every RV owner should own a torque wrench and use it on suspension attachments and lug nuts.

Rob
    Rob,

I’d love to believe that, but I don’t agree. Paint on the axle is clearly not enough to reduce torque by 30 to 40 ft.lbs. The bolts on my coach were severely under-torqued and I believe they came from the factory that way. The dealer should do that during PDI? If such an animal exists, I’d love to see the PDI checklist that GD provides dealers. Finally, my truck has leaf springs and I’m real sure the dealer didn’t check the torque prior to delivery. That’s because everything was tight from the factory.

GD makes a fine coach, but this one was delivered in an unsafe condition. Fortunately for me and them (and thanks to the red flags raised by folks on this thread), I checked and caught this before mayhem struck. Nobody is perfect and there is always room for improvement. This right here is a real good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dick - I replaced the springs on my Reflection and installed the new ones with new U bolts. I know that I torqued them to the correct spec. A thousand miles later, I rechecked the torque on the U bolt nuts with the same torque wrench and found many of them to be below spec. Up to half a rotation required to regain the spec torque. U bolts are different than regular bolts . . . lots of bolt length and contact surface to relax. I don't think this is something that can be blamed on the factory. This is something that every dealer/owner needs to check on a regular basis, as described in the LCI maintenance manual.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

CAUTION! - Dexter Axles - Developing Trend?

...I don't think this is something that can be blamed on the factory. This is something that every dealer/owner needs to check on a regular basis, as described in the LCI maintenance manual.

Rob
    Agreed

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dick - I replaced the springs on my Reflection and installed the new ones with new U bolts. I know that I torqued them to the correct spec. A thousand miles later, I rechecked the torque on the U bolt nuts with the same torque wrench and found many of them to be below spec. Up to half a rotation required to regain the spec torque. U bolts are different than regular bolts . . . lots of bolt length and contact surface to relax. I don't think this is something that can be blamed on the factory. This is something that every dealer/owner needs to check on a regular basis, as described in the LCI maintenance manual.

Rob
    Rob,

I understand the need to re-torque after initially tightening these things - actually not much different than re-torquing with aluminum rims. However, we're not talking half a rotation here - we're talking multiple turns. These were just plain loose after less than 2,000 miles - I could have easily taken them off with a large Crescent wrench. Not only that, they were tightened unevenly - rather than drawing down each side of the U equally, they wanged down on one side then did the other on nearly every one. No matter how you slice this one, very sloppy work.

As far as owners checking these? I totally agree, but I don't see it happening across the board simply because some guy who is not mechanically inclined but bought that camper just for summer fun with the fam will never do it. Now, you would think that the dealer, who always wants to make a buck, would offer that service - you know - $100 or $150 for 15 minutes work. However, I've never been offered that service on those rare occasions that I have brought my coach in for warranty service. In fact, I even had a dealer repack my bearings once because I was still working for a living and didn't have the time. He never once offered a re-torquing or an alignment, even though I had some sort of laser alignment system on the coach.

Me? I do the entire suspension annually - repack with new seals, torque everything that is suspension related, grease the zerks. I do a visual, check lug torque and air pressure before every trip. How many owners (as a percentage of the ownership base) do you think actually do that stuff? Just watch the campers around you who pull out - not a torque wrench or air gauge in sight. We like to winter on the Gulf Coast of Alabama at a very nice RV resort - people tend to have very nice RV's. They will stay there for weeks or months and when it's time to leave, they hook up and hit the road! And you think these same folks are ever going to check suspension bolt torque?

Oh well, we'll never solve it all but hopefully any newbies (and not so newbies) following this forum will learn something. And, hopefully, GD will address my concerns.

Safe Travels

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    ...but hopefully any newbies (and not so newbies) following this forum will learn something.
    Definitely on my list to do--even though my ownership of my new TT is <1 week. I appreciate all the inputs and debate from all parties.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In summary, everyone check your nuts... often.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast