Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Using lube plate

I just picked up a 2015 GD Solitude and my girlfriend has a 2012 PT Crusader, both 5th wheels. Hers has the Trail Air roto-flex and mine a standard Lippert? I think pin box. I have the B&W Companion hitch. With both it is very difficult to tell when the load has come off the hitch when attempting to disconnect when I have new 10" Curt lube plates on. The plates are a standard white nylon or plastic and 3/16". On a previous 5th wheel, 2011 Raptor and a Reese 16K hitch, when I raised the front legs there was a distinct gap between the hitch and pin box, also used a lube plate on it. I really don't want to go back to a greasy hitch but getting tired of going back and forth to wiggle the release arm on the hitch to see if it's loose yet. Towing both are nice and tight which is good and the old Reese was very sloppy and chucky.

With the B&W hitch and these pin boxes is there a secret to easier unhitching? Hitching is easy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chunker - I have the Companion hitch also. Pulling a 307MKS Reflection. No issue with the lube plate as I can see when the pin plate clears the slide. It did take me some time getting use to how much I have to raise the 5er to come off of the slide however. My only issue is that the truck always rolls forward an inch or two as soon as the hitch is released.
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put the release arm in open position & hold it open with the safety pin, then release weight off the coupler, usually that'll let the cam rotate and jaws open.
    I wait for the gap between the hitch and pin box before I move the truck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B&W Coupler Cam Handle Safety Pin.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	12552

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/to...tch-stuck.html
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. My previous Reese hitch was floppy and the B&W rather stiff and doesn't rock very much. I have been backing into position, setting chocks, raising front some then pulling release handle. I'll alter that sequence with the B&W. I put air bags on the truck so maybe I'll deflate them so I can see the the hitch weight unloading better. But basically no real gap develops when the hitch unloads like the sloppy Reese did.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    Thanks for the replies. My previous Reese hitch was floppy and the B&W rather stiff and doesn't rock very much. I have been backing into position, setting chocks, raising front some then pulling release handle. I'll alter that sequence with the B&W. I put air bags on the truck so maybe I'll deflate them so I can see the the hitch weight unloading better. But basically no real gap develops when the hitch unloads like the sloppy Reese did.
    Not the same as your added air bags, the air suspension on my Ram is auto level, so when unhitching I put it in Tire Jack Mode to stop it from trying to compensate height when 5th wheel weight starts to come off.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put your head down on the same plane as the hitch you can see a small light gap open up when the pin box comes off the hitch slip plate. I find this job especially easy as my wife does it.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    If you put your head down on the same plane as the hitch you can see a small light gap open up when the pin box comes off the hitch slip plate. I find this job especially easy as my wife does it.
    That's pretty much what I try to do but I find that often I'm un hooking by myself. I am new to the B&W so called them and they suggested pinning it in the open position before lowering the legs. I hadn't pinned it open before but will now. The Solitude has the Lippert leveling system which I need to figure out. Slow and I'm old school. Seemed to do a good job just real slow to level once I unhooked.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're almost to the exact sequence i use with my B&W Companion. I park the camper where i want it, let the air out of my airbags(this is so the auto pump doesn't kick on while lifting the pin to unlock jaws) chock the wheels, put down front landing gear to watch hitch head just come off of plate, then pin open the jaws like said above. SLIDES right out every time.
    Tom and Stacey
    TV - 2008 F350 Lariat DRW, 6.4 (done up) 8"bed, B&W3000 OEM Companion, Firestone Airbags w/ Wireless One compressor
    RV - 2018 GD Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While this may not work in every situation I mark my landing gear to indicate hook up and release height. I also mark the drop down sections so my high stays the same. My plate sits tight enough I do see a gap when in the unhook position.
    Hope this helps.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a B&W hitch. As I raise the 5th wheel I watch the gap between my overload springs and the stops. When that gap gets close to the unloaded measurement, I unhitch. I will continue to raise the camper until I see a gap between the hitch and pin box. I them lower the trailer about an inch so I am setup for the proper height with the automatic system when I am ready hookup again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast