User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer length a problem?

We are *thisclose* to getting a new 377. We're very excited about it and love the floorplan. However, I've started looking at campsites, and it seems the 40'10" length cuts us out of quite a few campgrounds around us (just North of Atlanta). How limited will we really be since our rig will be so long? Have any of you seen it as an issue, or am I just worried about something I shouldn't?
    2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW Duramax Diesel
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS-R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 379 is 42.6 with a 2’ extension on back to store our porch and steps. I’ve always been able to find a spot
    Last edited by LCBoyer; 05-06-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven’t had a problem with our 35 foot fifth wheel reflection 317 there was only one place in all the places that we went to in New England so although you may run into some places I think for the most part you should be OK but we are only 35 feet the longer you go the more you’re able to run into problems

Bryan

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    Our 379 is 32.6...
    Are you sure, L.C.?...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what type of camping you are going to do. We have a 2015 305RE Solitude, with a total length of 37', nose to the rear bumper. We were in California a few years back and could not get into many of the remote state parks. We like to stay in the secluded, picturesque camps, and on more than one or two occasions could not do so because of length. We like the setup that we have, but would not go any longer. If you are satisfied with commercial camps, 40' should not be an issue.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Are you sure, L.C.?...

Rob
    No. That should have been 42.6’
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on it depends. Our 303 is actually longer then what we hoped for but still works. We do a lot of state and national parks rather then RV campgrounds. The state parks max out about 35’ up here. You can find larger spots but they get very limited. On the flip side RV parks have lots of larger spots, just not our thing...

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a solitude 375re and have not had any trouble fitting anywhere. Traveled from Maine to Myrtle Beach.
    Buy it and enjoy it!!!!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the statistics from this website: https://camperreport.com/best-rv-len...ational-parks/
    That's why we ended up with something 34'10".

A buddy has a 377mb. Love the floor plan but it's a bit long. Also there are some who say that middle bedroom lacks enough air conditioning outlets fwiw.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 40' 5th wheel for 6 years and then we bought our new 41" Momentum last year. The only states we have not spent much time in is Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa. 90% of the time we have no problem getting a site big enough. 5% of the time we have to work really hard to get the 5th wheel parked or have to park the truck in an overflow parking lot. That leaves only 5% of the time we cannot get a site because we are too long.

It does take extra effort to plan your trips with the longer trailer. Since we live in ours full time the extra space is well worth the extra effort.

One of the best advice I have ever received came from a factory representative at an RV show. We where 5 years away from retirement and were planning our escape. We were looking at big 5th wheels. The plan was to buy one and pay it off by the time we retired. The factory rep asked about our camping style. We explained the plan to him. He told me not to buy one of his $70k 5th wheels, we wouldn't be happy with it.

You certainly don't hear that too often from a salesperson, don't buy my product. He told us that the lifestyle we had until our retirement date would better fit a small travel trailer. The bigger trailers require more effort to move, setup, take down, and clean. That because we were both still working full time that's pretty much all we would be doing with it.

My point being realistically evaluate how/when/how often you will use the RV. Then look at where you will go, where you might go. The answer will come to you.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast