User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gas Hot Water Pilot

Hello all,
    Before I take my new to me GD Reflection out of the driveway, I wanted to plug it in and familiarize myself with how everything works. So far everything is going good, but I am having trouble with lighting the gas water heater pilot. My owners manual says I should have one of two types of pilot lights. However, my configuration looks nothing like the pictures. My trailer is a 2015, and I don't think the previous owner ever used the gas hot water. This is the only valve that I see in the compartment: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180507_174632.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	12655 I am pretty sure I am in the right compartment because there are instructions on lighting the pilot in the door. Am I missing something, is this in need or repair? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim - You did not say which GDRV model you have, but the picture (and 2015 vintage) looks like an Atwood water heater. If so, there is no pilot light. There is a spark igniter that should light the gas when you turn the "gas" switch on at the electric panel. You should be able to hear this igniter "clicking" after turning on the switch and should be able to see the spark if it is dark enough.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob! It is a 29RS. So if I turn the gas on, and then turn the gas switch on, I am guessing the system will automatically use one or both systems to heat the water? I am guessing our trailers are similar, since the pics you posted when I had my electrical debacle looked exactly like the interior of my trailer. Could you tell me, does the gas furnace work the same way? When I turn on the furnace on the thermostat, is that only the gas furnace, or a combination of gas and electric?
    Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Jim Thornhill; 05-07-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try running gas on your gas stove for a few minutes, then turn off . Turn water heater on , as mentioned before go to water heater outside flip down door and see if you see igniter sparking , if you see it sparking then you know the igniter is working turn off the water heater check inside to make sure there’s no spiderwebs or any other thing inside where the igniter is and also check to make sure that the igniter is positioned right where the gas is coming out it should be fairly close. Also make sure gas tube is free and clear of spiderwebs and Little buggies.

Bryan

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

There will be two switches for the water heater. One for electric and one for gas. They will light up when turned on. You can heat water with either electric, or gas, or both at the same time if you are in a hurry

The furnace is gas only and responds to the thermostat setting. Before trying either of these, purge any air out of the gas lines. To do this, light the stove. All three top burners should operate on high to make sure there is enough gas flow . . . particularly for the furnace. Once the gas flow is established, you can turn the stove burners off. The furnace thermostat is a little deceptive . . . there is a "heat" button that does nothing. Find heat mode by scrolling down the right side and then set temp high enough to turn the furnace on.

Rob

Edit: And all the stuff Bryan says too .
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys, you're the best!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just like to add the obvious, MAKE SURE THE TANK IS FULL OF WATER, prior to using gas or electric heat.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To make sure tank is full of water , you can pull the pressure relieve valve above gas tube , pretty much in the center , open just a little , if water comes out your good , also good way to get air out of water tank .

Bryan

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bry1956 View Post
    To make sure tank is full of water , you can pull the pressure relieve valve above gas tube , pretty much in the center , open just a little , if water comes out your good , also good way to get air out of water tank .

Bryan
    Bryan - The Atwood water heaters are designed to HAVE an air gap in the tank. Using your method will eliminate the air gap which can cause leaking and weeping of water at the pressure valve as the water heats up. Here are the instructions from Atwood on how to restore the gap:

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim kept for my files

Bryan