User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fulltiming in a Solitude???

OK, lead-in to my situation.

After 13 years with my Newmar 5er, I traded it for a 2017 Solitude 375-RES 5er in June of 2017 (to date less than a year). We both love the floorplan. We have had a few issue which the dealer could not fix so I am on my way the Elkhart, IN for repairs.

After 10 months of living in this coach I've had a question in the back of my mind..... Is this coach sturdy enough for fulltime living. Mind you, from when we for 6 months of our life in this coach we have been stationary in South Central Texas. In March we left for NJ to spend time with family for Easter and take care of some other business. This past Monday we left NJ bound for Elkhart for said repairs.

We stopped Monday evening and when leaving yesterday morning I noticed the coach was listing towards the left. I pulled over and did an inspection and found the left rear spring had broken. I weighed the coach when we left NJ so I know I am NOT overloaded. We did hit a very rough stretch on I-70 in Ohio. I called GD and they are sending me 4K springs to replace the 3.5K springs. As soon as they arrive I can schedule the shop to come out and get me fixed up.

So as I sit here stranded, I am wondering even more If the Solitude is sturdy enough to withstand the lifestyle of a fulltime traveler. Our plans were to head to Alaska for the summer but I am now concerned if it will make it. So as of now, we are thinking we'll limit this trip to visiting the northern National Parks.

We are also considering looking at other coaches that I feel comfortable can hold up (ie: Augusta RV, DRV, etc.). I don't really want to dump this unit just because of a broken spring ... throwing the baby out with the bath water, but I am not comfortable at this point of its' durability.

We do plan on spending 4-6 months (winter) in Texas, but travel the rest of the year.

Opinions please. Am I making a mountain from a mole hill.
    John & Joyce
    2017 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ford F-450 King Ranch
    I'd Rather Have More Truck Than I Need Than Need More Truck Than I Have

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 375 res that my wife and I are full timing in. It is a great trailer and with a few changes is up to the full timing job. IMHO this trailer should have never left the factory with the axles and springs that came on it. The 7K axles are not up to the job for a trailer this heavy. After 6 months I replaced the 7K axles with 8K axles and springs. With that I also got brakes that will actually stop the trailer. When I got the 8K axles I went with never lube bearings and a MORryde HD shackle and wet bolt kit. The trailer now tows and stops like it should. The excess bounce is gone and the trailer is now a joy to tow. Going to the heavier springs will definitely help but by getting rid of the lippert 7K axles and wimpy brakes really makes the 375 res a better trailer.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Randy

Thanks for the response, and good to here.

Since writing the OP, I actually made an appointment with MORryde this morning to get the 8K IS and Disc brakes installed. I had this put on my last trailer and it was money well spent as it towed soooooooo much better afterwards. After this investment we will be committed to this coach for a some time to come.
    John & Joyce
    2017 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ford F-450 King Ranch
    I'd Rather Have More Truck Than I Need Than Need More Truck Than I Have

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have a Solitude, but have FT'd for 4 years in a Momentum. I also experienced a broken spring, but that was after 3 years on the road and 24,000 miles of towing. I chalked it up to "stuff happens" when your pulling a rolling earthquake. I did replace all of my hardware (springs, equalizers, bolts) with Dexter hardware and have been very happy so far.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by usroamer View Post
    Randy

Thanks for the response, and good to here.

Since writing the OP, I actually made an appointment with MORryde this morning to get the 8K IS and Disc brakes installed. I had this put on my last trailer and it was money well spent as it towed soooooooo much better afterwards. After this investment we will be committed to this coach for a some time to come.
    I think you will be very happy. The 375 res is a great RV to live in......I would be a little nervous towing it to Alaska though. I have heard way too many horror stories. I think I would rent an RV for that trip. Chicken I guess
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We know your uneasy feeling all too well after our second broken spring in a 2016 350 Momentum. First one after 8 months ownership, replaced all four ourselves with new 3500lb springs, HD shackels / wet bolts kits. About 12 months later , left rear spring fractured again. GD rep advised upgrade to 4K springs which we have completed and running down the road with fingers crossed. We are in line at Morryde for their 8K axle assemblies.
    My belief like most others, the problem began early on in the minimal engineering phase of all these 5th wheels. Feel free to PM me and I can go on and on about suspension.
    Could not be happier with the overall rig and most impressed with how GD stood behind their product.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pick up my new 2019 Solitude 376TH in four days. When I ordered the coach, I was told that it had Dexter axles. Don’t know what other suspension components are on it, but i’ll Be crawling under it for the PDI and post that here. In my experience, Dexter components are far superior to Lippert, so hopefully I won’t need to spend the long buck on MorRyde.

I was going to put disk brakes on the beast as soon as I got it, but I might give that time and see how the axles/springs hold up. We do a lot of miles, so it shoudn’t take too long to find out. I’d hate to do the brakes only to find out it was wasted money because the axles need replacing.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you're getting any more for your money with a DRV. I looked at some of the new units my dealer had in stock and you can definitely tell the new ones are not as well built as the older, pre-takeover units. The important components may be the same, but the fit and finish certainly are not. And one makes me suspect the other.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning to full time in 2019

My wife and I are planning to sell our house, stuff, retire, and begin full time RVing and traveling the country beginning June 2019. We will both be RV newbies. We have looked at a ton of RV's and think we want to buy the Solitude 310GK. Here are some of my questions and I appreciate your replies.

1. Will we be able to replace the factory TV's with better quality smart TV's that we currently have in our house?
    2. We plan to mostly stay in the National Parks and Corp of Engineers RV parks but realize very long RV's may not fit. Do you think there will be a problem fitting the Solitude 310GK, which is 35' long, into an RV site?
    3. Do any of you travel all year long, even through the winter months. Because I know several National Parks close for the winter months. Could there be a problem finding an RV site?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're staying in mostly national parks, then it's useless to have a smart tv. Wifi and oftentimes cellular, are virtually non-existent in many national parks.

The TCL tv isn't that bad when you're watching hi-def media. If you want a true hi end video display, go with the LG OLED. But don't think that the crappy wifi that is a available IF it's available, will render a true hi-def image.

You're better off downloading or ripping your own media to a portable hard drive or a NAS, and then play that back directly on your display.

Our 34 ft Reflection fit in the national parks we visited this summer, but be aware that I had to book the spaces half a year ahead and the number of available spaces was very limited. Many parks simply say you're out of luck with a longer trailer.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast