User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Info from dealer before buying

Are there any questions or info you wished you would have asked/gotten from your dealer before you signed on the dotted line?

We've narrowed it down to unit and features. We're working through financing (waiting on 3rd party to get us interest rate) and negotiating price. Before we sign, I just want to make sure we're not missing anything major.
    2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW Duramax Diesel
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS-R

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fsufan82,

Your dealer will likely ask if you want an extended warranty and/or exterior/interior protection. These products can run in the thousands. Some get them and some don’t. You can read the threads on this forum for each by typing the subject in the search button. If you decide to purchase one of these, keep in mind the prices are not in stone. The finance director can slash the prices if you play hard to get.

Are you familiar with the “pre-delivery inspection” (PDI) checklist? If not, there are several of them in the “reference library” of this forum you can print out and take with you. You need to do a good PDI during your two hour+ walkthrough. If there are any issues found, (defective appliance, loose trim, etc), have it corrected before taking possession of your rv. Otherwise it can be a long time before the dealer fits you into their schedule, and then keeps your rv for weeks at a time. Not all dealers are like this, but many, many are. Just beware.

A good dealer will do their own PDI prior to the orientation and PDI they do with you. They should have caught and corrected any issues found. Lastly, check your frame for excessive rust. If your unit made its way to the dealer during inclimate weather, it may have traveled over salted roads, or roads sprayed with chemicals. These can cause excessive rust. The dealer is supposed to pressure wash the units when they arrive, but some have received their rv only to find the badly rusted frame and components later. This can be nutralized and corrected, but better to let the dealer go through the hassle and cost.

Take your time with the PDI and make sure you understand how everything works. Good luck!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask for a copy of the GD dealer checklist that they require the realer to do BEFORE you do the PDI. After we were all done and were doing the paperwork, almost like a oops we forgot, the dealer hands me the form GV requires the customer to sign at the very tail end that was a full checklist of things. The dealer needs this signed, probebly to get paid, to give to GD. Of course ours didn’t have a mark on it but they “said” they did everything...NOT

Download the PDI checklist from the reference library , make 110% sure you go through how to use the leveling systems, hitch and unhitch, etc if this is your first unit and don’t sign anything until 100% happy.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As several have already mentioned, the PDI is extremely important... DO NOT let the dealer convince you that "their" PDI was enough. Get the checklist already mentioned, bring a flashlight and start inspecting things on your own. The spouse and I walked away from an RV purchase a few weeks ago due to items we found during our PDI. We should have known there was going to be a problem when the sales manager greeted us on delivery day, said our RV is ready, just "sign and drive" and took us directly to financing, things started to go down hill after that. We threatened to walk if they did not allow us to do our own PDI so after 25 minutes of back and forth chatter, a meeting with the service manager who "personally guaranteed" that the rig is ready, they finally gave up trying to convince me otherwise.

During our PDI we started finding issues within minutes, lights not turning on, trim around the slide out missing. The service manager started to get a bit rude with us when we insisted in having the water system hooked up then we pointed out the puddle of water under the bathroom sink after only turning on the water for 2 minutes. After 1 hour the punch list was huge, I was told to take the rig home and make a more complete list then schedule an appointment for repairs, why waste a nice weekend on small stuff I was told. I won't mention the dealer or the brand as of yet since I am still fighting to get my deposit back, I am giving them one more week.

Hoping things are going to be different this weekend as we try to close an RV purchase for a third time when we go pick up our 2018 2500RL.
    Rig: 2018 Grand Design - Imagine 2500RL
    Tow Vehicle: 2018 F150 - Black on Black - SuperCrew XLT-FX4 - 3.5L EB w/3.31 LSD - MaxTow/Haul - 5Stare Tune - Luminar Ceramic Tint w/UV - UltraFlex TBed Cover
    Garage Queen: 2018 BMW ///M240i Convertible - Loaded - Dinan Stage 1 Tune - MPE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch for any add on fees, these are negotiable, freight is some times an add on and sometimes included in the price.

Talk to the dealer about scheduling warranty work after delivery. It is rare for an RV to be delivered without something not correct. Really good dealers know this and plan for it, they will often have these items fixed before you ever see it. Try to take a couple of shakedown stays within the first couple of weeks.

Get a list of support items included in the sale, sewer hose (length), water hose, how long is the electrical cord, adapters, etc. These (compared to the cost of RV) are nickel and dime stuff, dealers will sometimes upgrade them to something useful as a courtesy.

Make sure hitch height adjustment is part of the delivery process.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750