User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

!6" 6 bolt wheel to replace current 15" six bolt wheel and tire

I'm thinking down the road here so please hang with me.

My reflection currently has the 15" 6 bolt wheel and E rated Westlake tires. It does not appear that anyone makes a G rated 15 inch tire - all 16"
    I also researched changing the hub on the trailer to 16", unfortunately the 4400lb Dexter axles are not convertible.
    Now looking into replacement 16" wheels to fit the current hub and bolt pattern. Has anyone done this?
    Just curious as to what works. I know if I go to the good G rated tires mentioned here I need a rim to take the 110PSI the tires need.

I could go to my favorite discount tire store but found it is good to be prepared. What I don't know is the bolt pattern on the 15" Dexter axles and wheels

BTW - I do have plenty of clearance between tires and the under belly of the trailer.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the GVWR of your trailer, you're fine with load range E tires. In fact, moving to load range G at that light weight may cause problems. Why do you want to move up?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Your unit is not heavy enough to require G rated tires.I
    Best bet would be to find the best tires you can purchase in 15" size. Just make sure they are not Made in China.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put the E rated Maxxis on our camper. very happy. Course I also went from LCI (pos) 5200# axles to Dexter 6000# axles and hardware.jmho
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Folks. I am looking for a tougher side wall. Ill probably find what I need in an LT tire. The other reason I may need some extra height for bed clearance on the new truck, but will cross that bridge later.

Back to thinking - I know that is dangerous for me.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not consider moving from a 15" E rated ST tire to a 16" E rated? For example on the Goodyear Endurance line which is made in the U.S.A.

ST 225/75R15 = 2,830# Max Load
    ST 235/80R16 = 3,420# Max Load

And both of them would be inflated to 80 psi (Max).

JIm

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Why not consider moving from a 15" E rated ST tire to a 16" E rated? For example on the Goodyear Endurance line which is made in the U.S.A.

ST 225/75R15 = 2,830# Max Load
    ST 235/80R16 = 3,420# Max Load

And both of them would be inflated to 80 psi (Max).

JIm
    Thanks Jim
    The question now is will a 16 wheel and tire overload the axle hub. I am sure I can find rims to fit either 80psi rated or 110psi rated. I have sent an email to Dexter asking if I install a 16" rim and tire will there be a problem with the axle components.

On my old trailer I had upgraded to 6000 lb axles and 16" G rated tires and it was a 10.5K unit. I only ran 80 psi in the tires (110psi normal). We did the paint the tire and roll test to find the correct pressure to get good wear. Big-O at the time said I would be fine as the weight was low. After 10 years and no flats they were still good and not checking.

If you have not heard of the paint and roll test you paint the tread then drive forward across some paper to check the tire footprint. The desire is to have an even foot print across the tire and not have high spots on the center or edges. This makes a big difference in wear and breaking.

Hope this helps

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This place is fantastic. I just found everything I need to know. Somehow my search did not find it.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...rmarket-Wheels

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    At the GVWR of your trailer, you're fine with load range E tires. In fact, moving to load range G at that light weight may cause problems. Why do you want to move up?

Rob
    Hey Rob - what kind of problems would the LRG tires cause? Is it "to much tire" for the weight of the trailer? Are six bolt wheels not sufficient muscle to carry a LRG tire? Just curious and trying to learn. Thanks.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post
    Hey Rob - what kind of problems would the LRG tires cause? Is it "to much tire" for the weight of the trailer? Are six bolt wheels not sufficient muscle to carry a LRG tire? Just curious and trying to learn. Thanks.
    Three areas of concern:

1) Are your rims rated for the increased PSI? (You would have to replace the valve stems, anyway.)

2) If you inflate to the max sidewall pressure (110 PSI) on a LRG tire without enough weight on it, you'll have wear in the center of the tire and not on the outside(s). You'll also create a harsher ride for the coach.

3) If you deflate to a lower pressure (i.e. if you have actual wheel-by-wheel weights for the coach and try using a load/inflation table), you may end up below the recommended minimum inflation pressure for the LRG tire resulting in excessive sidewall flex and premature failure.

If you have enough load margin with your load range E tires at the rated inflation pressure, it's a good match for your coach.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast