Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator compartment sag

Bought 2018 350m Dec 2017. Have not used it yet but have found the generator compartment sags about 3/8 inch, so it will not lock. Took to dealer, service writer did not know how would fix and tech not available. I told them I would not accept a longer tang on the lock or just jacking up to take out the sag as the cross member will be weak. Had anyone had any experience with this?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Harperboy. I moved your thread to the manufacturer's corner so that Grand Design can read about the issue and have one of their technical staff weigh in. I would expect them to get involved at the beginning of the work week. In the mean time, if any of you owners have experience or suggestions on how to resolve the issue, please share.

Thanks - Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 388 had a little sag (still locked), then I added 450 lbs of batteries and another 75 lbs of inverter and I got a serious sag. Added two cross members. A 2x2x1/4 bar welded from one side of the frame to the other about a foot back from the front (jack up the bottom first); and a 2 in angle aluminum bar across the front edge. Now it's solid as a rock. Then I replace the batteries with Lithium Picture shows the bar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SupportBar.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	12790
    Keith Regli
    2016 Momentum 388m
    2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx Jim. I didn't know there was a manufacturer corner until now.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx. If can't get warranty may have to pay to do the same.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a little less sag, lock would not lock, bought a longer tang, locks, hasn't sagged any more. I did add a second battery.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contacted the dealer today, they have had it a week which is no problem as I will not pick it up until May 24. Dealer stated they had not seen this problem before. Their solution is to remove the generator compartment door and frame, shim the bottom and reinstall. I do not want the sag to still be there so I want the cross member to be straightened and reinforced. Was told I would have to take it to a welding shop. I told them to hold on the repair and I just sent an email to [email protected] which is an address I found on this forum. I will keep you informed. I have a photo but cant figure out how to attach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rv cross member.jpg  

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just picked up a 2019 310GK. After reading some of these threads, I am beginning to wonder if we made the right decision buying a GD product. It seems to take an act of a superior being to get proper responses from dealers and the factory to back up a very expensive product.
    Goaltender
    2017 GMC Sierra Denali Crewcab 3500HD shortbox
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goaltender View Post
    We just picked up a 2019 310GK. After reading some of these threads, I am beginning to wonder if we made the right decision buying a GD product. It seems to take an act of a superior being to get proper responses from dealers and the factory to back up a very expensive product.
    First, welcome and congratulations.

Next, things are not as bad as it may appear from reading this forum or various Facebook groups. People with complaints post, only a handful of happy campers post.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goaltender View Post
    Welcome. Stop reading and go enjoy! You will be fine. For every good dealer there are 10 lousy ones. For every problem there are 10 happy experiences... You purchased a great product, especially relative to most anything out there. Certainly superior in the price category. All campers are built “light weight” ( some greatly more then others). Every camper will have issues bouncing down the road. If you can’t accept that then The RV life is not for you. By joining into the RV lifestyle you also either join into tinkering to take care of minor issues or you get patient waiting for dealers that are seasonal and get backed up in their service areas because there is not a large enough trained workforce. Take each problem as it comes along and don’t worry. ENJOY!

PS: we absolutely love our GD and are heading out tomorrow. We made the right choice...

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]