User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atwood Furnace issue

Need some input here please...Atwood furnace in our 337RLS is acting up. Our gas bottles are almost full. Used the furnace for the last few nights, no problems. Last night, not so much. Started it as we went to bed as normal but woke up later and heard the odd cycle described below where the fan is running fine, it ignites and goes out a second later. I got up and shut it off. This morning, turn the thermostat on, fan starts, good air flow out of the vents as well as the exhaust. Burner ignites after 10-15 sec. It lights for about 2 seconds then goes. You can hear the whoosh of the flame as well as feel momentary heat out of the exhaust. It’ll do the same thing over and over until you shut it off.

Anyone seen this?
    Chris
    Kanata ON
    2015 337RLS, 2014 Ram 3500 DRW CTD Crew Cab

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the limiter switch. The limiter switch is a safety function that turns the unit off if it is not producing heat. Well if the switch has gone bad it can't tell your furnace it is heating, it thinks you are just pumping unlit fuel, so it shuts you down.

The first time this happened to me a wire connection had come loose on it. The second time the switch was bad, I got it to work another night simply by tapping on it, but that didn't last long. I got the switch at a local RV supply store, $9.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kanatachris View Post
    Need some input here please...Atwood furnace in our 337RLS is acting up. Our gas bottles are almost full. Used the furnace for the last few nights, no problems. Last night, not so much. Started it as we went to bed as normal but woke up later and heard the odd cycle described below where the fan is running fine, it ignites and goes out a second later. I got up and shut it off. This morning, turn the thermostat on, fan starts, good air flow out of the vents as well as the exhaust. Burner ignites after 10-15 sec. It lights for about 2 seconds then goes. You can hear the whoosh of the flame as well as feel momentary heat out of the exhaust. It’ll do the same thing over and over until you shut it off.

Anyone seen this?
    My first guess would be thermal couple and/or circuit associated. There should be a safety shutoff of the gas if the system doesn't think it properly lit. It sounds like it is shutting itself down because it doesn't detect the burn.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks. I’ll give your thoughts a spin.
    Chris
    Kanata ON

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So to close the loop on this and as a matter of interest, the issue was my propane. Contrary to my belief that our tanks were almost full, a closer inspection revealed one was empty and the other about half full. I check the tanks by running boiling water down the sides and get an approximation by where the hot/cold line is when you touch it. Guess I made a mistake. Gonna get a proper gauge. But like low voltage is problematic, the same appears to be true of propane levels. Lesson learned. Keep one at least full.
    Chris
    Kanata ON

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since this was a propane issue and not a furnace problem, I've moved the thread from the Tech Corner so Grand Design doesn't have to weigh in on it.

Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kanatachris View Post
    So to close the loop on this and as a matter of interest, the issue was my propane. Contrary to my belief that our tanks were almost full, a closer inspection revealed one was empty and the other about half full. I check the tanks by running boiling water down the sides and get an approximation by where the hot/cold line is when you touch it. Guess I made a mistake. Gonna get a proper gauge. But like low voltage is problematic, the same appears to be true of propane levels. Lesson learned. Keep one at least full.
    Do you remember what side had the empty tank? Was the empty on the curb side, the side opposite from the auto-switchover regulator?

EDIT originally had the wrong side as empty.

If the street side was empty you may have been bitten by a problem identified a couple of years ago and discussed extensively.

The Fairview regulator model used requires an in-line back check valve on both of the lines into the regulator. Grand Design has removed one of the external back check valves to install a 90 degree fitting and hose.

In my experience the missing check valve is only an issue when using high consumption appliances like the furnace.

Attached is a photo of regulator with the check valve circled. Notice no valve on the other side. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B0283AA1-9DA7-4F83-BBB2-20E36CE92FEC.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	12950
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 70EF952C-A4AB-4E11-B46C-E64418C89FCF.jpg  
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the Mopeka Propane Tank Monitoring system and never had a missed low tank issue yet. Works off Smart Phone APP and also comes with a mountable monitor (order this straight from Mopeka and the mountable gauge is programmable to the 30lb tanks). Works great!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the Mopeka system, I am not that enthusiastic about it. It mostly works. But when moisture builds up it gives false readings. I'll keep using mine, but I can't recommend it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New here And while not all that familiar with RV units there should be some type of Prover or Flame Rod. Fire comes on flame hits rod burner stays on. Stupid 2.5" long in front of 1 fire tube with a wire coming off it 1 screw clean it with steel wool. you should be good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atwood-Hydro-Flame-Furnace-Replacement-Electrode-36997.jpg.thumb_prod_infoprod_info_100x80_f72ac.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.6 KB 
ID:	18785
    Last edited by Scocciante; 03-28-2019 at 03:02 AM.
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast