User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Trip Plumbing Disaster

I picked up my new 2018 Imagine 2150RB about a month ago and was finally able to take it camping this weekend.

The first night (Friday) the water pump cycled every few minutes, so I knew something wasn’t right. I shut the pump off. I’ll spare you the gross details, but due to food poisoning I had to use the toilet a few times and had to turn in the water pump each time, and shut it off again when I was done.

The next morning I was able to see that a pinhole sized leak was coming from a crack in a fitting leading to the outside spray port. By that time, several gallons of water has escaped and got into the underbelly.

I was able to drive to a local RV dealer and got a 1/2” plug to prevent water from leaking out of that fitting. Problem solved. Was able to turn the water pump on and had no more issues of the pump cycling on and off repeatedly.

Fast forward until today. I took a shower and then proceeded to break camp. When I came back into the trailer, I could hear a hiss coming from what sounded like the top of the wall that the shower is located on. I could also see a small stream of water coming from the base of the wall (or somewhere close to that) and running down along the carpet in front of the sofa. The carpet all along there was damp. I shut the water pump off again and drained all the water from the shower head and the hissing stopped.

So now I have to get an appointment for the dealer to look at it, who is about an hour away from me. My concerns are 1) all the water that was in the underbelly. See the pic...I believe that was because of this incident. And 2) the water leak in the wall and the water that got into the carpet and wherever else it may have gone.

I was planning on using the camper again this coming weekend, but doubt that will happen. And I definitely need it fixed for good before I leave for Alaska in early July. Hopefully Grand Design will step up to the plate and assist with this mess, especially since it’s the first time the camper has been out since purchasing it brand new.

I’m in the marine industry for a large manufacture, so I know things like this happen. It’s what is done to make things right in the eyes of the customer that will define a company. I love my Grand Design trailer, but this needs to be addressed ASAP.

Sorry for the rant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
    2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 5.7L Hemi with 3.92 Gears

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think you're just stating facts and letting us know what happened to you instead of ranting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can get this resolved quickly. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I think you're just stating facts and letting us know what happened to you instead of ranting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can get this resolved quickly. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Jim
    Thanks Jim!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify, it was an electric only site, so I was running off of the tank only. The water pressure at the dump station at the county park was very low. The stream was about the size of my little finger. So I don’t think that it was due to any water pressure problem. The tank took forever to fill. I actually got impatient and stopped after it said 2/3 full, figuring that was enough for just the weekend.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck. Hope it gets resolved. No rant imo. Hope you feel better also.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow.....we have the same 2150RB. We picked up our RV on March 22nd in Buda, Texas......Also, Ive had a leak at the SAME location and fitting. Maybe its the same technician doing the same install, but not doing it properly??. We've made 4 trips in 7 weeks and love our Grand Design...however, it was my wife who found the leak on the 3rd trip, and I verified the leaking location on our 4th trip. Had we not caught it in time, it would have eventually made a mess of our RV.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grand Design.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	12930

Keith & Patsy Staudt & Buttercup (pet dog)
    Bridge City, Texas 77611
    "Back 9 Adventures"
    2018 Grand Design 2150RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had some plumbing issues on our new rig, there is a post in the plumbing section. I'm fixing them myself since we are FT and I'm not going to wait for the dealer to fit us in and keep the rig for a week or more. I'll be contacting GD on Monday.

The soft hose and fittings they use aren't up to snuff at times. They need to just run Pex everywhere but for whatever reason they use that cheap Chinese hose and then slap pex fittings on top.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Wow.....we have the same 2150RB. We picked up our RV on March 22nd in Buda, Texas......Also, Ive had a leak at the SAME location and fitting. Maybe its the same technician doing the same install, but not doing it properly??. We've made 4 trips in 7 weeks and love our Grand Design...however, it was my wife who found the leak on the 3rd trip, and I verified the leaking location on our 4th trip. Had we not caught it in time, it would have eventually made a mess of our RV.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grand Design.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	12930

Keith & Patsy Staudt & Buttercup (pet dog)
    Bridge City, Texas 77611
    "Back 9 Adventures"
    2018 Grand Design 2150RB
    It’s quite possible that it is the same tech. It looks like they tightened it too much and ended up cracking the fitting. I’d like to have the dealer do a pressure check and see if there are other areas that have leaks.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    We've had some plumbing issues on our new rig, there is a post in the plumbing section. I'm fixing them myself since we are FT and I'm not going to wait for the dealer to fit us in and keep the rig for a week or more. I'll be contacting GD on Monday.

The soft hose and fittings they use aren't up to snuff at times. They need to just run Pex everywhere but for whatever reason they use that cheap Chinese hose and then slap pex fittings on top.
    This weekend we had our own plumbing disaster with our brand new Reflection 150 Series 290BH. One of those soft hoses carrying hot water popped off a tee fitting in the basement flooding everything. Had a waterfall coming from under the new camper and everything inside the basement was wet including the power converter, water heater, water pump and lots of electrical wires. I did fix the failed connection by adapting the PEX to a barbed fitting, but once I turned on the water I saw several other hose connections, both vinyl and PEX, weeping or dripping so I had to replace other clamps before a second disaster occurs. Water pressure is less than 40 psi. Aren't these connections inspected and pressure tested? Given the word on the street of GD "quality", I never even considered this to be a potential problem on a GD. It's really sad that improper installation of a simple part that cost less than a dollar can cause so much damage and ill-will. What to do now? Have the whole thing pulled apart to put the proper clamps on these soft vinyl hose connections? We've only had this unit a week.

Have a detailed post here: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...mbing-Disaster
    Lee and Sandi
    2018 GD Reflection 150 Series 290BH
    2017 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve 4x4 Gas
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_camper_nj View Post
    This weekend we had our own plumbing disaster with our brand new Reflection 150 Series 290BH. One of those soft hoses carrying hot water popped off a tee fitting in the basement flooding everything. Had a waterfall coming from under the new camper and everything inside the basement was wet including the power converter, water heater, water pump and lots of electrical wires. I did fix the failed connection by adapting the PEX to a barbed fitting, but once I turned on the water I saw several other hose connections, both vinyl and PEX, weeping or dripping so I had to replace other clamps before a second disaster occurs. Water pressure is less than 40 psi. Aren't these connections inspected and pressure tested? Given the word on the street of GD "quality", I never even considered this to be a potential problem on a GD. It's really sad that improper installation of a simple part that cost less than a dollar can cause so much damage and ill-will. What to do now? Have the whole thing pulled apart to put the proper clamps on these soft vinyl hose connections? We've only had this unit a week.
    I feel your pain, that’s for sure. Wishing you the best!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast