User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GDRV just said no warranty but I’ve escalated it once already at Dexter and still waiting for a word. It has become less each trip so I’m not terribly concerned, and I have it documented in case it becomes a problem. I’ll let everyone in on the resolution when I get it.

Edited this to add that I didn't speak to GDRV...our dealer did, so take with a grain of salt. I know how this works though, and it would be a Dexter thing anyway, so after a PM to Emily Stahley, she got me contact information for Dexter. I then contacted them myself. If I hear nothing, and feel it is a real problem, I will contact Grand Design and expect my issue will be resolved to my satisfaction.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received an email from Jim Miller, Warranty Administrator at Dexter and while he didn't have an explanation for how the water got in the axle, he ok'd drilling small drain holes. I will do so and try to catch and measure how much water still exists. With the temps we have been having and several dry trips since this became evident, I would be surprised if it was very much...but we will see.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post
    I received an email from Jim Miller, Warranty Administrator at Dexter and while he didn't have an explanation for how the water got in the axle, he ok'd drilling small drain holes. I will do so and try to catch and measure how much water still exists. With the temps we have been having and several dry trips since this became evident, I would be surprised if it was very much...but we will see.
    If you drill drain holes consider fogging the inside of the axle with a thin film anti corrosion spray. Good insurance.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    If you drill drain holes consider fogging the inside of the axle with a thin film anti corrosion spray. Good insurance.
    Excellent idea...thank you.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, guess it was really nothing. I drilled an 1/8" hole in the bottom of the tube between the u-bolt and backing plate and got nothing. I started with the right rear, the worse offender and since nothing came out, I stopped there. After previous discussions with a couple of guys I worked with in RV's, the most logical explanation we could come up with is that when washing the underside and suspension after the trip from back east, high pressure water was directed at the back axle a bit too long and was blown into the brake wire hole(s), which are on the back side of the axle. The lack of rust on my suspension leads us to believe it was washed off very well, maybe too well, if that is possible.

My coach build date is 10/2017 and was originally delivered to Fresno, CA. It then came up to me in Coburg, OR, February 2018. Whether it hit any salted/treated roads or not, I can't know but I can guess, if our theory is correct, that it was washed off properly which is a good thing.

At any rate, I don't believe it is an issue that should generate concern for anyone. On the flip side, I have been under the coach a lot more than I normally would have and checked for other issues such as u-bolt torque, brake wiring and generally making sure things are in place and well routed...which makes it a good thing.

As a preventative measure, I will probably find a way to get some rust converter into the axles thru the brake wire holes...just in case...
    2018 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, guess it was really nothing. I drilled an 1/8" hole in the bottom of the tube between the u-bolt and backing plate and got nothing. I started with the right rear, the worse offender and since nothing came out, I stopped there. After previous discussions with a couple of guys I worked with in RV's, the most logical explanation we could come up with is that when washing the underside and suspension after the trip from back east, high pressure water was directed at the back axle a bit too long and was blown into the brake wire hole(s), which are on the back side of the axle. The lack of rust on my suspension leads us to believe it was washed off very well, maybe too well, if that is possible.

My coach build date is 10/2017 and was originally delivered to Fresno, CA. It then came up to me in Coburg, OR, February 2018. Whether it hit any salted/treated roads or not, I can't know but I can guess, if our theory is correct, that it was washed off properly which is a good thing.

At any rate, I don't believe it is an issue that should generate concern for anyone. On the flip side, I have been under the coach a lot more than I normally would have and checked for other issues such as u-bolt torque, brake wiring and generally making sure things are in place and well routed...which makes it a good thing.

As a preventative measure, I will probably find a way to get some rust converter into the axles thru the brake wire holes...just in case...
    Be careful with a "Rust Converter" Some, like Ospho, are acidic and will not play well with the wires in the axles. A great product that is safe for electrical etc is Corrosion-X. I've used it to revive corroded contacts on electrical switches and to stop and prevent rust or corrosion on aircraft parts. https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-9...dp/B003HFTI0S/
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder where the water comes from also. I had my LCI axles replaced with Dexters that were sourced from a local supplier, so they had never seen the road before being installed on my trailer nor were they pressure washed. At some point after installation I noticed the rusty water stains that appear to be emanating from the brake wire holes. I'd been towing in heavy rain so am assuming the water went in the same holes. Never seen this before. Keeping an eye on this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    I wonder where the water comes from also. I had my LCI axles replaced with Dexters that were sourced from a local supplier, so they had never seen the road before being installed on my trailer nor were they pressure washed. At some point after installation I noticed the rusty water stains that appear to be emanating from the brake wire holes. I'd been towing in heavy rain so am assuming the water went in the same holes. Never seen this before. Keeping an eye on this.
    Thank you for the suggestion on the Corrosion X. It does seem to be a better solution. As far as your rusty water axles, my coach had been towed mostly in the rain too when I noticed it, we just couldn't see that much water getting in through the holes from road splash, and also the fact that the front axle didn't show any rust stains. But then again, after your experience, what else could it be?

We were pretty much grasping for straws as it was something that we had never seen, or noticed anyway. I only worked on motorcoach chassis, which only had trailer type axles on the tag, if at all. Maybe it is far more common than I thought. Just seems odd that much water could get in through those holes but then again, I have no way of knowing how much water it was since it had all evaporated by the time I got to it. I've had dry towing in hot weather for the last several trips. Doesn't take very much to make a mess, I guess...kinda like a little oil makes a big spot...
    2018 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12