User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best method to pay for gas during trips.

Is there a safer way to pay for gas during RV trips other than debit or credit cards

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pepguy View Post
    Is there a safer way to pay for gas during RV trips other than debit or credit cards
    Cash works most places. We also have dealer-specific gas cards (gift cards) that were given to us.

If you're worrying about compromising your credit/debit card, you could buy yourself several generic (like VISA) gift cards and use those.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pepguy View Post
    I only use a debit at a bank ATM to get cash. Otherwise, all our purchases go on one rewards credit card. Since credit offers protections that a debit does not, it seems safer to me.

We typically do not travel more that 250 miles in a day, so I avoid using truck stops for diesel. A local station is typically 3o to 45 cents per gallon less than going to a truck stop. YMMV!

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Costco’s credit card give 4% cash back at the end of the year for fuel purchases. I often use this on trips. It is easy to monitor the activity of the card on line with the citi app. They keep a close eye on the activity too. I am sure it is automated. I have an extra tank so can hold nearly 100 gallons of fuel. I often have to start the fuel pump more then once since they generally have a limit of $100 to $125. I will get a txt from the bank asking if this is my charge. A quick yes texted back takes care of it.
    Jeff and Gale
    Vancouver, WA
    New - 2020 GMC 3500 Duramax
    Old - 2005 GMC 2500 Duramax
    New - 2021 Solitude 310GK
    Old - 2018 Reflections 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Pilot/Flying J gas card, coupled with the Good Sam program I typically receive enough off per gallon to justify the Truck Stop mark up. Plus the truck stop is just too easy to get into and out of, and is usually not very far off the interstate. I only use this card for Fuel when traveling, and here on the East coast the Pilot/Flying J are plentiful, and of course there is an app to show you where they are all located, and how far away the next one is.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only other thing you could do is buy Gift Cards, then use those. So I guess you could take cash then buy the cards at the brand station of your choice if you are trying to avoid credit. When I retired 4 years ago some of my coworkers chipped in and gave me a $500 Pilot gift card. Only problem is you cannot use them in the truck lanes, so I had to go inside every time. And, of course, if the brand you bought isn't near you, that'd be a problem. You could get reloaded Visa Gift cards, I guess. As I said, I use a credit card, but have it set up so I get text message alerts of all charges over $75. I've never had a problem yet.
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP303 View Post
    Costco’s credit card give 4% cash back at the end of the year for fuel purchases. I often use this on trips. It is easy to monitor the activity of the card on line with the citi app. They keep a close eye on the activity too. I am sure it is automated. I have an extra tank so can hold nearly 100 gallons of fuel. I often have to start the fuel pump more then once since they generally have a limit of $100 to $125. I will get a txt from the bank asking if this is my charge. A quick yes texted back takes care of it.
    We have a Sam's Club credit card. It gives 5% back on gas (not just Sam's Club gas).

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We have a Sam's Club credit card. It gives 5% back on gas (not just Sam's Club gas).
    Thanks for posting this. I thought it was only for gas at Sams club. Now reading the rules I see it applies at most any US gas station other than at gas at other competitive wholesale clubs like Costco etc.

THANK YOU! You made my wife very happy.

Edit: we also use free Shell Rewards Card for at least 5 cents per gallon discount. Only down side is it’s limited to 20 gallons each time you swipe.
    https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewa...arch?gclsrc=ds

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use credit cards almost exclusively. I have my credit card stolen about once a year. The banks have been pretty good about it. I monitor my credit card purchased with text messages and review my purchases on line once a week. I never carry a balance on them, I have 3 cards each from a different bank. I pull out about $xxx in cash each month in case we are someplace that the credit cards will not work. That's the only time I use my debit card.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 credit cards that were recently used for fraudulent charges. One was a Costco card and the other an Amazon. Both within a 2 week period. It's never happened before ( knock on wood ). I have been traveling and the CC company turn off my card because they thought the charges were not from me. One phone call would get it turned back on.
    After the fraudulent charges and receiving the new cards, I have both banks email me EACH time a charge is done. I file them in my receipts file in my email.

I think it's safer to just use a certain card when traveling. It's easier to track. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast