User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We keep two credit cards. One is a cash back rewards card that we use for everyday use. The other is a Good Sam rewards card that we use exclusively for travel expenses (airlines, campgrounds, motels, restaurants, entertainment, gas, etc.) We seldom write checks (use online bill paying) and carry very little cash. We also carry a debit card, but only use it at ATM's for replenishing our cash when it does run out.

I like keeping these types of expenses separate. At the end of the year I get a statement from each card company that lists the entire year's purchases by category. I find this helps with setting up our budget for the following year.

I've had one fraudulent charge on one card in the last 20 years, and it was at a major chain store that I don't patronize. One call to the cc company reversed the charge.
    Barb and Blair, retired and loving it
    2017 F250 Lariat Super Cab, Short bed, 4x4, diesel, Tow Technology Bundle, Pullrite 16K Autoslide
    2017 Reflection 307MKS, 3/17 Build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    I use a Pilot/Flying J gas card, coupled with the Good Sam program I typically receive enough off per gallon to justify the Truck Stop mark up. Plus the truck stop is just too easy to get into and out of, and is usually not very far off the interstate. I only use this card for Fuel when traveling, and here on the East coast the Pilot/Flying J are plentiful, and of course there is an app to show you where they are all located, and how far away the next one is.
    X2 here ^^ And if you have a larger rig and need diesel, there is not really a better option IMHO :-)
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw a KrebsonSecurity article about gas pump skimmers: "newer and more secure pumps typically feature a horizontal card acceptance slot along with a raised metallic keypad"
    How to Avoid Card Skimmers at the Pump
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope this isn't hijacking the thread - sorry if it is - but how 'bout diesel? I know much of the above applies, but I've occasionally wondered if it's possible to SET UP to use the trucker lanes at the back of most truck stops instead of the (often just two) diesel pumps among the busy gas pumps at the front of the truck stop.

I emphasized "set up" above because I already know I can't just go through the truck lanes; regular credit cards not accepted. However the convenience is seductive - more and faster diesel pumps as well as Diesel Exhaust Fluid pumps and no jockeying with cars in sometimes-small spaces would often mean faster easier back on the road.

Has anyone gone through getting set up (if it's possible) to fuel up with the trucks?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Hope this isn't hijacking the thread - sorry if it is - but how 'bout diesel? I know much of the above applies, but I've occasionally wondered if it's possible to SET UP to use the trucker lanes at the back of most truck stops instead of the (often just two) diesel pumps among the busy gas pumps at the front of the truck stop.

I emphasized "set up" above because I already know I can't just go through the truck lanes; regular credit cards not accepted. However the convenience is seductive - more and faster diesel pumps as well as Diesel Exhaust Fluid pumps and no jockeying with cars in sometimes-small spaces would often mean faster easier back on the road.

Has anyone gone through getting set up (if it's possible) to fuel up with the trucks?
    If you use the RV Plus card which works at Pilot and Flying J it will turn on the pumps for DEF and diesel without requiring you to go inside and prepay in the truck lanes. Using that card also gives you a discount and the cash price, not the credit price. You have to be a Good Sam member and the RV Plus card is a charge card, not a credit card. I try to plan my trips around Pilots and Flying J's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem using the truck lanes, that's the only place I go when the fiver is hitched up. I use my regular cash back card plus some places give another discount for Good Sam. Some pumps will take my card, most won't. I think all the major truck stops have their own card and there are a lot of fleet cards available, but I'd rather walk to the cashiers desk than deal with another card account.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    If you use the RV Plus card which works at Pilot and Flying J it will turn on the pumps for DEF and diesel without requiring you to go inside and prepay in the truck lanes. Using that card also gives you a discount and the cash price, not the credit price. You have to be a Good Sam member and the RV Plus card is a charge card, not a credit card. I try to plan my trips around Pilots and Flying J's.
    Thanks @FT4NOW. I'm a Good Sam member but don't remember the RV Plus card being offered to me. I hope that's not because I'm Canadian. It sounds perfect, and I'll be trying to apply.

EDIT: I see a reference to Canadian savings on the web page, so I guess it's available to me.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @FT4NOW. I'm a Good Sam member but don't remember the RV Plus card being offered to me. I hope that's not because I'm Canadian. It sounds perfect, and I'll be trying to apply.

EDIT: I see a reference to Canadian savings on the web page, so I guess it's available to me.
    https://www.rvpluscard.com

Go to that website, you will need your Good Sam number when you register.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    https://www.rvpluscard.com

Go to that website, you will need your Good Sam number when you register.

Thanks for the link. Just signed up.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP303 View Post
    Costco’s credit card give 4% cash back at the end of the year for fuel purchases. I often use this on trips. It is easy to monitor the activity of the card on line with the citi app. They keep a close eye on the activity too. I am sure it is automated. I have an extra tank so can hold nearly 100 gallons of fuel. I often have to start the fuel pump more then once since they generally have a limit of $100 to $125. I will get a txt from the bank asking if this is my charge. A quick yes texted back takes care of it.
    +1 on using the Costco card. Never had an issue that wasn't quickly identified and immediately resolved. Plus, Costco is almost always cheaper to get gas at their location. I've seen many Cruise America rigs in my local one.
    Howard & Ellen

2018 RAM Rebel Hemi 27700 miles
    2018 Imagine 2600RB 10704 miles
    Equal-i-zer 14,000 hitch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast