User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a Fidelity Visa (as debit) which pays 2% back each month on all purchases. Discovercard for backup. Coupled with a Good Sam card for a discount of 5 cents per gallon at Flying J/Pilot. Maneuvering around the Walmart gas pumps can be a challenge.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Gas Buddy

Pay with Gas Buddy card, save .05/gal. linked to your bank account. The app shows you all gas station prices close to you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Hope this isn't hijacking the thread - sorry if it is - but how 'bout diesel? I know much of the above applies, but I've occasionally wondered if it's possible to SET UP to use the trucker lanes at the back of most truck stops instead of the (often just two) diesel pumps among the busy gas pumps at the front of the truck stop.

I emphasized "set up" above because I already know I can't just go through the truck lanes; regular credit cards not accepted. However the convenience is seductive - more and faster diesel pumps as well as Diesel Exhaust Fluid pumps and no jockeying with cars in sometimes-small spaces would often mean faster easier back on the road.

Has anyone gone through getting set up (if it's possible) to fuel up with the trucks?
    We pulled my fiver to Colorado last month. Stopped at 3 Loves truck stops. I hated going in and pre-authorizing my credit card and then going back in for my receipt. At one Loves I complained and they said to get a My Loves Rewards card and the pump would start. I got one. Next stop it still wouldn't start.
    When I got home I called Loves corporate and asked them what I could do to get around this. The lady told me I needed to go to the nearest Loves and have the diesel cashier add "pump start" to my Loves Rewards card. I went there and after four clerks looked at me like ????? the manager got some form and filled it out. He put my drivers license number, name and address on it.
    Now supposedly pump start is activated on my card. Just insert my Loves Rewards card at the pump and the pump comes on. I still have to go inside to pay but that's ok as I always go in anyway to use the restroom or get something to eat. I will try it and see if it works when we head back to Colorado next month.

I did notice that Flying J has the same "pump start" but you have to buy 500 gallons first before they activate it. I sure hope Loves isn't the same way. (I used the Good Sams card at Flying J too but there is only one in Amarillo on the way to Colorado)

BTW I stop at Loves for the same reasons mentioned above, they are convenient, most are large and easy to get into, usually clean and offer food like Chesters chicken or pizza. If I stop at a regular gas station I am typically limited to a hotdog or a pre-made sandwich
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    We pulled my fiver to Colorado last month. Stopped at 3 Loves truck stops. I hated going in and pre-authorizing my credit card and then going back in for my receipt. At one Loves I complained and they said to get a My Loves Rewards card and the pump would start. I got one. Next stop it still wouldn't start.
    Thanks @johndeerefarmer. Very familiar with that two-walks-back-and-forth routine, PITA.

Your Love's Rewards effort is an improvement - I might do that too - but IMO @FT4NOW nailed it with advice to get this card:

https://www.rvpluscard.com

It's accepted at the trucker pumps at Pilot and Flying J so we can fuel up and go (including DEF) just like the big boys. Note that it's not a credit card though; has to be paid off monthly. Note also, 8 cents discount on diesel which brings their price closer to competitors.

Your post reminded me; I just completed the application. My wife tells me I'll be required to take up another form of exercise since I won't have to do the double-walk into the gas station stores.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Flying J card also.... sometimes. I have found a few stations that you still have to go inside. ...also, sometimes more expensive. I just have to use my pin number to authorize it at the pump.

I just ran into this last week at FJ (two trips inside, DL # etc.) Pretty much a pain. Like pay at pump better! Do appreciate the large facility though.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I carry three credit cards when traveling. We both carry a card that is on separate accounts as a backup and we carry what we call our Travel Card that does NOT have the same card numbers but on the same account. We do this because a friend of ours had his wallet stolen and Friday night about 10:00 PM and by 10:00 AM Saturday his accounts were maxed out including all the money gone out of his Debit Card. Being 1500 miles from home it's a pain to get things to straighten out and cards replaced.

Added - He also didn't have the phone numbers and card numbers on the stolen cards which made even more difficult to contact the companies and shut down the cards. They used 4 Squares attached to cell phones to max out the cards.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123