User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Skylight Modification - Cutting Down on UV Rays and Glare (Caution!)

CAUTION: Suggest you not implement this modification - Excessive heat generated. See forum discussion for details.

Living in the Desert Southwest, we have to deal with harsh sunlight and the damage it can do. Our 2017 Reflection 297RSTS has two unfiltered skylights which let in a lot of glare and UV rays. At mid-day, it can be so bright that it causes you to squint. In addition, the UV rays can damage interior furnishings and cabinets over time.

So I installed some window film over the interior skylight panel to try and control the light without totally getting rid of it. I purchased a roll of Gila (brand name) Glare Control Window Film from Lowes in the home furnishings department. The color I selected was "smoke". BTW... If you've known me for a while, you'll know I tend to shy away from things that say "smoke" or "fire" on them. The window film blocks 80% of glare and 98% of UV rays.

Installation was a breeze and only took about five minutes per skylight. I did not try to adhere the film to the skylight, but only taped it around the edges to hold it in place. That way if I ever wanted to change it in the future, it would be easy to remove.

Step 1 - Remove the interior skylight bezel using either a Phillip's head or Robert's drive bit as appropriate. You might need an extra set of hands to hold it in place while you're removing the screws.

Step 2 - Wipe off any sawdust or debris on the skylight and cut a piece of film that will cover the top of the skylight.

Step 3 - Stretch and tape the film to the skylight in multiple locations. I used packaging tape.

Step 4 - Reinstall the skylight in the ceiling.

Too much glare and UV light.

Interior skylight panel after removal.

After window film installed.

80% less glare and 98% less UV light.

Jim

Last edited by TucsonJim; 09-14-2018 at 04:49 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Does the skylight come out from below? And is there any kind of seal that has to be replaced before reinstalling?
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Nice! Does the skylight come out from below? And is there any kind of seal that has to be replaced before reinstalling?
    It comes right down in one piece and there is no seal. Literally, it was five minutes to do each skylight. You don't have to touch the outer skylight which is screwed to the top of the roof and sealed with lap sealant.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    👍. Looks great. Thanks for this idea.
    2019 REFLECTION 315RLTS
    2018 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD CCSB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    It comes right down in one piece and there is no seal. Literally, it was five minutes to do each skylight. You don't have to touch the outer skylight which is screwed to the top of the roof and sealed with lap sealant.

Jim
    That's great! I didn't know the the shower skylight has an inner and outer piece.

I'm going in to get film on my truck windows next week. I'm going to bring this thing in and let them put the film on the inner piece then. Thanks!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, we will be getting some of that!
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent idea and something I will also be doing!
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH
    2017 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab
    B & W Companion (T/O Ball Mount)
    SBGTF

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea, Jim. We only have a skylight in our bathroom, but I think I'll do it. I've also worried a both what the uv does to the outer shell of the skylight, but that's another issue.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BTW, the window film was about $13 at Lowes for a much larger roll than needed.

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea. Looks good.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast