User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why are PullRite 2400 Series SuperLite hitches not approved

I just got an email saying the Pullrite Superlite hitch http://www.pullrite.com/products/superlite-series is not approved for use with my Reflection 220RK and would void warrentee. However the Reese goose neck pin box conversion is? As a registered civil engineer I cant understand why as the Reese goose neck set up would put probably 100 times more force or more on the pin box than the Pullrite or even the Anderson. Force being the ball connection point multiplied over the distance to the pin box attachment point. For the Reese this is several feet, while on the Pullrite your talking maybe 4 to 6 inches - same for the Anderson.

Can someone at the factory explain this.

Fortunately Pullrite cant see how either and indicated they would cover any pin box damage.

I also learned that the Pullrite Superlite hitch is not considered a goose neck system and therefor does not need safety chains. It is considered a 5th wheel hitch by the government.

Thanks for any information
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was hoping to hear back from the factory on this to help others. I think I know the answer.

However I have decided to go with a better quality standard receiver hitch that can be moved to my new truck without too much hassel.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed a PullRite 2400 to use with my 2019 337RLS. It is a truly revolutionary and life changing piece of RV gear. It has taken a sometimes precarious and always frustrating process of hitching and unhitching a 5th wheel to a place of comfort and ease. I am pinching myself still stunned by the fact that not only does this hitch make the process completely painless but simultaneously does so with a removable hitch that weighs a mere 52lb.

With the 2400 PullRite has reduced payload, made it easy to hitch and unhitch, removed the need for a crane or to be a body builder to remove the hitch and, very likely will have prevented several divorces, damaged trucks and backs.

Now, on to the fact that Lippert and other frame / kingpin companies may void the warranty with this hitch…

I called PullRite. Apparently, ANY modification or add-on to the kingpin can void the frame warranty including the plates and other mods of many sliding hitches. So the 2400 nor its Anderson Ultimate Hitch competitor are immune from this fact. However, there is a particular type of hitch mod on a 5th wheel kingpin that will clearly change the stress dynamics of the frame. This is a gooseneck extension (a long pipe that connects the kingpin to the bed of the truck with no intervening support).

PullRite has advised that the 2400 SuperLite is considered a 5th wheel hitch not a gooseneck since there is supplementary frame support between the kingpin and the truck bed (as opposed to a straight pipe). Nevertheless, the pin adapter that converts the pin to a ball is a modification that could void the frame warranty. However, PullRite advises they stand behind their product and have insurance should their product be deemed the direct causality of any kingpin or frame damage.

The Superlite is a well-engineered product with a solid, friendly and accountable company behind it. As for me, there is no looking back. I am a SuperLite fan for life!

“Complexity is your enemy. Any fool can make something complicated. It is hard to make something simple.” – Sir Richard Branson
    Last edited by JamGear; 10-06-2018 at 03:23 AM.
    Bill & Patty
    2019 337RLS
    2018 Silverado LT 2500HD 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed 6.0 Gas
    PullRite SuperLite 2400 20K 5th Wheel Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason the Reese Goosebox is "approved" and other non-nontraditional hitches are not is because Reese and Lippert have a shared financial interest/agreement on this Goosebox. It has nothing to do with engineering or potential frame damage the Andersen or the Pullrite could cause, but rather everything to do with forcing the consumer to buy the Goosebox. By placing a warranty denial on the consumer from using any other non traditional hitch, LCI hopes to coerce the buyer to use only a hitch that LCI will make money on.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    The reason the Reese Goosebox is "approved" and other non-nontraditional hitches are not is because Reese and Lippert have a shared financial interest/agreement on this Goosebox. It has nothing to do with engineering or potential frame damage the Andersen or the Pullrite could cause, but rather everything to do with forcing the consumer to buy the Goosebox. By placing a warranty denial on the consumer from using any other non traditional hitch, LCI hopes to coerce the buyer to use only a hitch that LCI will make money on.
    This^^ - although I was chastised for saying this in another thread recently. Although not officially approved, in case of a trailer frame failure being blamed on the PullRite or Andersen hitch (same concept and forces applied), the burden would be on Lippert to prove that the hitch was truly at fault.

Rob

PS: we pulled out 337 for over 12,000 miles with an Andersen Ultimate without any issues whatsoever.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel bad I joined that party Rob. Sorry. There are a lot of reasons mfg's try to get out of stuff. Hitches are a last resort. Our friends roll a Montana with a goosneck extension...supplied by their dealer. I'm not so sure there should be so much worry about hitch types.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1