User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somtimes hard reading

As well as being ADD to an extreme degree, I have brain damage from an early childhood accident (preschool). I tend to take things literally, so when I read an incorrect word such as break instead of brake, I wonder what on the trailer broke?
    This wrong wording is not unique to this forum, however, seems to be considerably worse on this forum than others that I visit. Can't for the life of me figure out why the difference. It is common for folks here to say sight when they mean site, vice when they mean vise, axel when they mean axle, use affect instead of effect and visa versa. And the list goes on. I am assuming maybe incorrectly that it makes for harder reading and more interpretation for all. Is anyone else affected by this?

Now, I will readily admit I am in different circumstances, and amazingly never did makeup for failed English classes, and although I can for instance write poetry (well!) I have no ability to memorize even a few lines. And don't ask me about parts of speech, as I never understood much of it. So don't interpret the foregoing as criticism but rather curiosity on my part (which never ends). Any and all perspectives welcome!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
    As well as being ADD to an extreme degree, I have brain damage from an early childhood accident (preschool). I tend to take things literally, so when I read an incorrect word such as break instead of brake, I wonder what on the trailer broke?
    This wrong wording is not unique to this forum, however, seems to be considerably worse on this forum than others that I visit. Can't for the life of me figure out why the difference. It is common for folks here to say sight when they mean site, vice when they mean vise, axel when they mean axle, use affect instead of effect and vise versa. And the list goes on. I am assuming maybe incorrectly that it makes for harder reading and more interpretation for all. Is anyone else affected by this?

Now, I will readily admit I am in different circumstances, and amazingly never did makeup for failed English classes, and although I can for instance write poetry (well!) I have no ability to memorize even a few lines. And don't ask me about parts of speech, as I never understood much of it. So don't interpret the foregoing as criticism but rather curiosity on my part (which never ends). Any and all perspectives welcome!
    All the forums I'm on have a specific rule regarding "no comments/corrections for incorrect language usage". Many times, there are people who English is not their primary language. And the English language can be quite odd for some of us.

I'm not sure I see any more of this here than any of the other forums I inhabit.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think much of that is due to auto complete on so many phones and tablets . Even spell check doesn't know which you want to use ie: break or brake The person posting likely is not re-reading what they typed before hitting the post button.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^This The auto correct feature is probably responsible for 90% of the misspelled words. My Ipad is unbelievably bad thinking it knows how to spell a word(s) exemplified in the OP's original post. And it's damned stubborn too. I'll have to go back 2-3 times and retype the word before the software will stop auto correcting. The age of machines I guess. They think they know more than the people that built them.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Tom&Joan;165701]

"and amazingly never did makeup for failed English classes"

I got lost when I thought you were putting on "makeup" until I understood you meant "make up". Just pulling your leg. But I have to agree with Marcy that a lot of the issues are due to the auto complete tools on our phones.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tom or Joan! Although I haven't suffered brain damage (self inflicted notwithstanding), I too am a little ADD when it comes to language. I participate on a different forum that has a few good natured folks that have appointed themselves grammar police. Doesn't seem to create issues other than a laugh or two.

I wonder how many folks are using talk to text. That program can come up with some doozies. It doesn't bother me to decode posts once in a while. The ones that are made up of run on sentences, no punctuation and misplaced pronouns and such can be difficult to read. I usually chalk it up to someone possibly learning the language and give 'em an A for effort!

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This one is tough to write. My break away switch for my brakes broke.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for using punctuation along with your short, succinct sentences.

Maybe you should take a brake from worrying about you're broken brake away switch used four emergency breaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes a minute to take a second look before hitting the post quick reply button
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get your tang tungled up, or your mords wresed up... or are you just balking takwards!

My best friend is one of the brightest, most successful people I know & he can't spell worth a hoot.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast