User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to convince your spouse it's time to go Full Timing.

I'm retired and have been for the past 10 years. Remarried for 5 years together 11 years total. I love to travel and see new places. 2 yeas ago we bought a Momentum and traveled to NY. Unfortunately, 3 days into our trip we had a tire blowout. That caused us to loose 3 days, as it was over a holiday weekend. The trip finished and the following year we did another trip. Unfortunately, again, a tire blowout. Though, we were back on the road within 5 hours. Our last part of the trip, was buying 4 new tires, and suspension. All because Les Swab didn't do or inspect the suspension as I inquired. So driving for 2500 miles the tires were worn. The trip was good and bad. My wife was very upset.

Now, every time I suggest going on a trip. Well you can guess the reaction. What makes it even worse is that, I suggest selling our home, and going FT. She says we need to have a home to come back too. She always refers to my Dad. See my parents never sold their home, yet always traveled for 6 months. Yet even after my mom passed away. Dad couldn't sell the home or let go of items of my mom. I understand that. He though was a FT Snowbird, from Oregon to AZ.

Here's what I'm looking for and advice. How can I have her decide to go FT? Do you really need to have a home base? On the other hand should I just go and travel leaving her behind? I want her to see experience the places I see with me, but I can not force her either. I know I'm not the only person this has happened too. Any advice would be of help.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Personally I agree with your wife. We travel all over the US and Canada and would never even consider selling our home and going full time. We love travel but we also love our home. Besides, someday you may be done with the travel and want a place to return to.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're on the other side of the fence from Paul - we're full-time (sold the stix 'n brix) and love it. Laura wasn't too sure about it until we attended an RV-Dreams educational rally (http://www.rv-dreams.com/). After that, Laura's the one that sold the house out from under us. Full-timing is not for everyone, though, and the last thing you want to do is convince your wife to sell her home and hit the road. If, down the road (pun intended), she's not happy, neither of you will be... especially you. Spend a lot of time reading the full-timing sections (and forums) on RV-Dreams and do the same over on the Escapees RV Club web site. Then talk about attending an RV-Dreams educational rally or an Escapees Boot Camp. She's got to be 100% in for it to work. As one of our OB/GYNs said in a meeting once, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We retired a few years back and started RVing in the summer. We live in AZ and getting out of the heat in the summer is a requirement. Recently our son moved to Beaverton, OR and we plan on summering in the northwest from May or June til the fall.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been FT for 4 years, but I'm also of the opinion that if Mama isn't in 100%, she'll never be happy and you will both be miserable. Maybe being a part time traveler is the best you can do. What's wrong with trying what your Dad did and taking it 6 months at a time? She might discover she loves it.....or reaffirm that she cannot do it. Maybe you could try 3 locations over a 6 month time period to both get away from home and get the taste what FT RVing is like. Good luck.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've talked about it but decided we didn't want to go thru the hassle of selling all our stuff, put some in storage and then when done have to buy another house. If we did sell then 100% of the money sits in a fund for the next house. We have joked a bit that we should sell in the next year, travel until the next housing crisis hits and buy low. Sounds easy but probably isn't. For us it's just easier to take 2-3 month trips when the wife retires in 11 months.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    We've talked about it but decided we didn't want to go thru the hassle of selling all our stuff, put some in storage and then when done have to buy another house. If we did sell then 100% of the money sits in a fund for the next house. We have joked a bit that we should sell in the next year, travel until the next housing crisis hits and buy low. Sounds easy but probably isn't. For us it's just easier to take 2-3 month trips when the wife retires in 11 months.
    It definitely isn't for everyone. In our cases, both of us were military brats so traveled all over the world as kiddos. Then my career saw us move 8 times in 40 years. But, that is not everyone's experience. We have many friends who have spent all their lives in one or two locations and I can see how those deep roots would hold you firmly - and that is not a problem.

The FT lifestyle is definitely not for everyone, and that is okay. It's not a badge of honor....just a lifestyle choice.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I considered full timing, but changed our mind after retiring. We bought a great house in the mountains three years ago, and fixed it up to pretty much our dream house. We also bought our trailer, so I guess had the best of both worlds. Now we want to travel more, and have the opportunity to get out of this crazy state called California to a home in Minden, Nv where we will have a modest but very nice home on some property with one of our daughters and her family (3 grand children).

So two weeks ago we threw the house up for sale, and now it is sold. We have 3 weeks to get out. Leaving our seasonal lake spot in a couple days to pack, and put stuff in storage. If our daughter’s current house doesn’t sell, we won’t get the future house to move into. So we are now full timing by chance, at least for a couple months, but maybe a year or more. I’m a bit nervous, hoping we made the right decision...
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    My wife and I considered full timing, but changed our mind after retiring. We bought a great house in the mountains three years ago, and fixed it up to pretty much our dream house. We also bought our trailer, so I guess had the best of both worlds. Now we want to travel more, and have the opportunity to get out of this crazy state called California to a home in Minden, Nv where we will have a modest but very nice home on some property with one of our daughters and her family (3 grand children).

So two weeks ago we threw the house up for sale, and now it is sold. We have 3 weeks to get out. Leaving our seasonal lake spot in a couple days to pack, and put stuff in storage. If our daughter’s current house doesn’t sell, we won’t get the future house to move into. So we are now full timing by chance, at least for a couple months, but maybe a year or more. I’m a bit nervous, hoping we made the right decision...
    That's one way to convince her, Steve! Relax, consider it an adventure, and you'll have a great time. I learned some time ago that plans are what we make before life intervenes...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I debated going full time when we retired but DW wanted her nest. So we compromised and moved into the mountains of Colorado. We spend winters down south and 7 months here. Best of both worlds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast