User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Tank Drain - Slow To Stop Dripping.

Finally got to spend a few nights in the new rig. All went well. Only thing bothering me is that once I close the black tank valve the water stops but there is a drip that goes on for at least 10 minutes.

The valve closes OK because the drip finally stops. It's as if the pipes are so level that it takes a really long time for every last drop to drain. I'v never experienced this before in any of the 5 rigs I've owned. I can live with it I suppose but may reconsider my draining technique and duration; or install a gate valve just prior to where the sewer hose connects. I even tried tilting the rig to the drain side a bit but it didn't seem to make much difference.

The 2 grey tanks empty OK and after shutting the valves the flow stops quickly and completely.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    traveldawg - See this related thread that I just started . . . https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...te-Gate-Valves
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, I saw your thread but didn't want to hijack it with my problem. My valves work OK as near as I can tell. It's just that my black tank piping seems to take a long time to finish draining; it doesn't leak at all (at least not that I can tell). If I wait 10 or 15 minutes the trickle stops and I can put the cap on the drain. I'll probably run a camera up there or flush it with a hose to see what happens.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    traveldawg - Does the drain stop dripping because the piping empties out or because the tank finally reaches empty? If you pump a few more gallons into the black tank with the flush system, does this stay in the tank or increase the “drip”? In my case, the black tank flush would immediately appear at the drain, even with the gate valve closed.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    It stops dripping because the piping empties out. I've left plenty of water in all the tanks to be sure none were leaking. So I'm sure the valves are OK.
    Larry KE4DMG

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Rob,
    It stops dripping because the piping empties out. I've left plenty of water in all the tanks to be sure none were leaking. So I'm sure the valves are OK.
    I've noticed that my Solitude does the same thing. In fact, I've added a gate valve at the sewer point of connection.

I will also say, the black water system drains painfully slow compared to other trailers I've had in the past. Also, once the drain is to a trickle I close the valve. Once I open a grey valve, quite a bit of brown water, toilet paper, etc... is pushed out of the pipe.
    The even happens when I flush the black water until I get nice clean water coming from the tank.

I fear these pipes run a bit too horizontally to provide good downward flow.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bfs673, thank you for that validation. Now that you mentioned it there was some solid residue that emptied when I pulled the valve on the greys after closing the black. In fact when I got home I tested each valve to be sure they were labeled right.

If you can please post a photo of the valve you added. I’ll be adding one.

‘‘This is a BIG MISS ON GD’S PART to allow this kind of drainage.
    Larry KE4DMG

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after getting wet a few times when removing the dump pipe cap I figures out that water sits in the drain pipes after closing off the valves. I'd say about 2 or 3 quarts. This morning I lowered the rig toward the drain side (drivers side) and raised the other side with the levelers to drain the pipes. We'll see if any surprise awaits when I pull the cap off.

And it seems the grey tank 1 (bathroom/shower) doesn't drain all the way as there is a always 1/3 in it. Probably gonna drain with the camper unleveled toward the drain to see how that works.

Anyone have any photos of the plumbing from the tanks to the drain? Not sure what I might do about this, if anything, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed this as well and added a gate valve to the tank outlet to prevent surprises when I remove my cap:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...ste+gate+valve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	13356
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, ncitro. I added it to my Amazon list. Probably order it at my next stop as I'll be there about 9 days. I passed on picking one up the other week thinking I wasn't going to continue to have a problem.
    Larry KE4DMG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast