Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air bags

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Tunnelgas - I installed the Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbag kit (and the Wireless One onboard compressor and controller) a few years ago. I found the Airlift instructions to be easy to follow, with lots of pictures of an installation on a vehicle the same as mine. Hopefully your instructions will be the same. I think they are available online if you want an advanced look. The only problem that I had was that the supplied airline connectors were poor quality. Over the years, I have ended up replacing all of these.

I know that the onboard control system is expensive, but this is what makes the system really useful in being able to change pressure on the fly or even to air up/down whenever you hitch/unhitch the trailer. If you use separate schrader valves for each bag, you will have to monitor side-to-side pressure change differences depending on sun load and exhaust heat differences. Also, remember that the bag pressure will be a lot different with/without the trailer, so this will have to be factored into whether you fill them before/after hitching.

There are a number of threads on airbags, which you can find with the search tool in the upper right corner.

Rob
    Thank you, Rob.

I will be carrying a 12V compressor in the basement so I didn't think the additional cost was worth it...at least not now. I remain open to the possibility of adding an onboard compressor and other accessories in the future.

I was thinking about adding an onboard TPMS system to the camper and wondered if anyone had ordered the additional two sensors and placed them on the Schrader valves to monitor the pressure in the bags. Admittedly, I have not done any forum research on this yet.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve and Jeneen (and Xyro our German Shepherd)
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited 4WD Crew Cab Dually
    HO Cummins and Ansin trans, factory auto-level suspension, factory 30k fifth wheel hitch
    Favorite vehicle in the garage - Kubota RTV1100 :cool:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Firestone on a '09 F-250 & the cages the bags sat on collapsed after a year carting my slide in camper over too many RR tracks. I went to Airlift & have not had any problems. I ran my shrader valves behind the fuel door as the bumper location is not accessible with the camper on. I'll put on the compressor & wireless controller I had on the '09 to my F-350 someday, but I carry a compressor with me so I'm in no hurry.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this kit on my 08. I also waited for a rebate and got it for around 100 bucks. Great mod as I got tired of airing up and down pretty quick. I mounted under the truck, outboard of the frame and made an aluminum shield to cover it from water and such. Using with firestone bags.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/air-co...SABEgIQRPD_BwE

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelgas View Post
    I was thinking about adding an onboard TPMS system to the camper and wondered if anyone had ordered the additional two sensors and placed them on the Schrader valves to monitor the pressure in the bags. Admittedly, I have not done any forum research on this yet.
    Steve - Monitoring the airbag pressure with TPMS sensors is a good idea . . . although I don't think anyone has discussed this idea on this forum. I run a 10 sensor system. (road tires and spares on trailer and truck) No reason two more sensors couldn't be added.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 372WB on order ( ordered 1st of May so have a ways to wait..... full body paint as well....) Will be pulling with F350 6.7 crew cab....long bed...single rear wheel. Anyone tow with this config and need and like having airbags...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed my Airlift system in a very similar manner to how Captain America describes his system. I preferred the Airlift design to the Firestone, because the Airlift bags go between the frame rail and the axle . . . not mounted on brackets to the side of the frame.

I put my Wireless One compressor in the truck box, up under the right box rail and picked up power from the feed to the trailer wiring connector where there is 40A 12V power on only when the truck is running. I fused this down to the compressor requirement in the line to the compressor.

Recently, I replaced the original Airlift compressor (which was adequate for the air bags with a 15% duty cycle) with a 12V VIAIR continuous duty compressor. This maintains the airbag pressure (in about 1/4 the run time ) but also allows me to use this onboard system with a hose from the Schrader valve to fill tires. I use the Wireless One remote to set the tire pressure.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2630.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here, the rebate is back in season. Glad I looked today.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/support/rebates/
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 303rls pulled by a Titan XD. Sagged about two inches but would bottom out on bumps. I added AL 5000 to the unit and handles the bumps much better. Paid $290 and installed myself.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the Firestone All in One Ride Rite system which included the Air Bag setup with on-board F3 wireless compressor. They also make a non drill mounting bracket that works very well. I also had it wired through the fuse box. In addition I have a manual set of lines that come out the back just in case of an electrical issue. The wireless setup works great which allows you to make 2 presets and inflate each side individually. It was a little more costly, but it's nice to be able to inflate or deflate from inside the truck.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completed installation of my Loadlifter 5000 ultimate yesterday evening. It is a relatively painless process and there are a couple of good videos on YouTube that helped. I ran into a little issue with the standard installation due to the fact that I had previously installed a B&W turnover ball. The under-bed brackets did not allow the forward u-bolts to be utilized due to the side-frame plate on from the B&W installation. This was addressed in one of the videos and a single bolt was installed into the bottom of the frame to attach the top front of the airbag bracket. Other than that, as I mentioned it was relatively painless.

I had previously intended to install the schrader valves under the spare tire access point on the back bumper (right of the license plate). I changed my mind as I was concerned that using the bumper as a step I might damage them at some point. Instead, I ended up installing one on the right side above and to the right of the spare tire access and the other above and to the left of the trailer plug.

I attached a photo of one side showing the single bolt as well as the location of the schrader valves.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE2CD0A9-3039-41CD-920E-E833294C5050.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	13321

Name:	FC9D775B-0C7F-4FBF-BCF9-44932497FF0C.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	13320

Name:	C193DEA0-FB7D-4DD2-BDEC-02A6535CEEA6.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	13322
    Steve and Jeneen (and Xyro our German Shepherd)
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited 4WD Crew Cab Dually
    HO Cummins and Ansin trans, factory auto-level suspension, factory 30k fifth wheel hitch
    Favorite vehicle in the garage - Kubota RTV1100 :cool:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast