Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air bags

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air bags

I’ve got a Duramax crew cab 2500, and tow a 29rsl. Are airbags worth while? My sag is about 2” at the rear tire loaded vs not. It handles great, but better would be nice and will it diminish chucking? Brand and price?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a f250 crewcab shortbed with a 2018 29rs. Had about the same sag as you so put airbags on. I would say YES get them. Seems to handle better although no problem before and way better with the chucking.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firestone Ride-rite. Paid $ 580 installed.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Ram 2500 and a 303rls , added Firestone air bags after 1st trip helped with chucking as well as handeling
    Matt & Dana , Kasey the Australian Cattle Dog
    2018 303rls
    2012 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, had them for my truck camper so know how effective they can be, I’ll get them.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled our new 303rls home a couple of weekends ago from South Carolina with no issues but I didn’t like the slight sag on the truck. I ordered the Airlift 5000 Ultimate and will be installing it this weekend. I did not order the onboard compressor and instead opted to save the additional money and will just run the schrader valves to the back bumper below the spare tire access.
    Steve and Jeneen (and Xyro our German Shepherd)
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited 4WD Crew Cab Dually
    HO Cummins and Ansin trans, factory auto-level suspension, factory 30k fifth wheel hitch
    Favorite vehicle in the garage - Kubota RTV1100 :cool:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air bags solve for the sag and improve the overall handling. My experiences as been they are a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hardest thing about the installation is putting together the components on a bench--prior to installation. The instructions read like a foreign language and the components are reverse images of each other. I had to go to YouTube to see how to put the air bags together. The shraeder valves are fine for those that don't tow all the time. I care an air tank with me and just a quick.puff is required.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelgas View Post
    I pulled our new 303rls home a couple of weekends ago from South Carolina with no issues but I didn’t like the slight sag on the truck. I ordered the Airlift 5000 Ultimate and will be installing it this weekend. I did not order the onboard compressor and instead opted to save the additional money and will just run the schrader valves to the back bumper below the spare tire access.
    Tunnelgas - I installed the Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbag kit (and the Wireless One onboard compressor and controller) a few years ago. I found the Airlift instructions to be easy to follow, with lots of pictures of an installation on a vehicle the same as mine. Hopefully your instructions will be the same. I think they are available online if you want an advanced look. The only problem that I had was that the supplied airline connectors were poor quality. Over the years, I have ended up replacing all of these.

I know that the onboard control system is expensive, but this is what makes the system really useful in being able to change pressure on the fly or even to air up/down whenever you hitch/unhitch the trailer. If you use separate schrader valves for each bag, you will have to monitor side-to-side pressure change differences depending on sun load and exhaust heat differences. Also, remember that the bag pressure will be a lot different with/without the trailer, so this will have to be factored into whether you fill them before/after hitching.

There are a number of threads on airbags, which you can find with the search tool in the upper right corner.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member Captain America's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the Air Lifter Wireless ONE compressor and LoadLifter 5000 airbags on my 2006 GMC 2500 about 2.5 years, and I would like to share the install process.

The directions are very clear and easy to follow. Everything was bolt on, so no welding or cutting of any kind.

The air bags attach to the frame where the factory bump stop is located. Remove the bump stop and attach air bag. The kit comes with a plate that attaches to the axle. Depending on truck this step may be different.

Next is the compressor. There is a plate located under the bed of the truck that I used for the compressor location. The air manifold can only be oriented in a couple of different ways per instructions. I attached the manifold to the bed cross member.

The plumbing and running of the air hoses was most time consuming. I had to drop spare tire to run an air hose to the rear bumper for the manual inflate. Before I ran any air hose I installed in wire loom for protection. This is not critical, but I did it and also helps clean up the install.

Electric wiring is next and final step.

I did not like the way Air Lift wanted to power the compressor directly from the ignition fuse tap so I installed a relay........... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The relay is powered by a 12 volt accessory stud at the fuse box and the relay is tripped by the ignition fuse tap. The compressor will only run with the ignition on.

Once again I wire loomed all the electrical wiring for protection and for a clean install. If you plan on buying bulk wire loom, I suggest Amazon. It is 1/3 of the price compared to the auto part stores!!

I really like having the compressor. It will keep the bags at the desired 5 psi while unloaded and air the system up with a push of the button. You can control the pressure in the bags on the fly while driving down the road.

I highly recommend Air Lift. Their customer service is top notch. When I first installed the system the air manifold was registering the wrong psi. I called customer service and they promptly sent a replacement.

I wrote this a couple of years ago and posted it to......http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ll-121412.html

I have around 15-18,000 towing miles on this system and it has perform flawlessly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161016_143418.jpg   20161029_114211.jpg   20161029_074912.jpg   20161016_143944.jpg   20161016_143820.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast