User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air bags

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP originally asked about air bags reducing chucking. Initial response were that it helps. Then it turned into an installation thread and experiences with various manufacturers.

I’d like to see more feed back on ride changes after installing air bags. I’m considering them and a change from the RotoFlex to reduce chucking and maybe help with some of the up/down motion over serious bumps such as found on many interstates at the start and end of bridge to road transitions.

Thanks.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    OP originally asked about air bags reducing chucking. Initial response were that it helps. Then it turned into an installation thread and experiences with various manufacturers.

I’d like to see more feed back on ride changes after installing air bags. I’m considering them and a change from the RotoFlex to reduce chucking and maybe help with some of the up/down motion over serious bumps such as found on many interstates at the start and end of bridge to road transitions.

Thanks.
    Ride on mine is unchanged or better except for the absence of hitting bumpstops. Truck rides smooth with the 5th wheel because of the weight. Trailer rides smooth too, even left water in the dog dish in Florida and dumped it out in South Carolina.
    Not ever a hint of chucking with my BW compaion so can't speak to that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.
    Good point...I will be able to answer that after this upcoming weekend as we are set to get away for a few days to see the kids. I will provide feedback to this once we return.
    Steve and Jeneen (and Xyro our German Shepherd)
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited 4WD Crew Cab Dually
    HO Cummins and Ansin trans, factory auto-level suspension, factory 30k fifth wheel hitch
    Favorite vehicle in the garage - Kubota RTV1100 :cool:

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed Airlift bags before I got our 303. In the fall of 16, I put the bags on and towed our old Cedar Creek to winter in the RGV. It helped the chucking some but I was still play with the PSI, by the time we got back home in the spring it was better.
    I've put about 4000 miles on our 303. I think I have the PSI dialed in. Does it still chuck? Yes. Is it bad? No.
    The truck and the 303 both sit level. Can chucking be eliminated ? Not with air bags but they helped me.
    Frank & PJ
    2018 303 RLS
    2004 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4x4 Sierra

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Air Lift Ultimate 5000 bags on a 2013 F-250 6.7 Super Duty pulling a 2017 327. Before installing the bags we had quite a bit of sag. Now the ride is much better and with 25 lbs of air it rides level and much smoother. Chucking is reduced but not gone on a bad road. If I forget to bleed the air down to about 5 lbs the ride is noticeably stiff and rough when unhitched. I did not install the compressor I just use a manual bicycle pump. It takes about 4 pumps in each valve to get to 25 lbs. The valves are in the bumper near the license plate. I think they are great!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone. I expect I may be putting on some Air Lift air bags and likely switching to a MORRyde pin box.

I expect it will reduce some of the chucking and provide a bit more better ride.
    Larry KE4DMG

Fireside Member Captain America's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before the air bags the rear compressed into the bottom overload spring in leaf pack which caused a rough, jarring ride. I installed the bags to lift the suspension from compressing on the overload leaf. This smoothed out the ride tremendously. Here are some pics with air bags at 5 PSI and 60 PSI. I run 60 PSI in the bags while towing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161016_165225.jpg   20161016_165438.jpg   20161016_165247.jpg   20161016_143418.jpg  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ran Air Lift 500 on my 01 F-250. With trailer it road nice. Without a load and the air at 5 psi it can be a back killer. Ran each air line to the license plate like Capt. America.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.
    I put 50psi in the bags prior to heading out on our trip this past weekend. This eliminated the sag. As far as the chucking issue, I only had the trip home from the dealership with an empty rig as a measure of comparison (and the memories of our old Holiday Rambler years ago) but I was super-pleased with the difference the airbags made to the overall ride. I would say that chucking was essentially non-existent...or at least not noticeable to me. I never felt pulled back in the seat over bumps or anything like that. Is that a direct result of the airbags installation? I’m not entirely sure but it did feel much (MUCH!) better over bridge transitions on the interstate. The overall ride with the airbags was significantly better in my opinion.

traveldawg - we are envious of your travel map...lots of color...we hope to use ours like this over time.
    Steve and Jeneen (and Xyro our German Shepherd)
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited 4WD Crew Cab Dually
    HO Cummins and Ansin trans, factory auto-level suspension, factory 30k fifth wheel hitch
    Favorite vehicle in the garage - Kubota RTV1100 :cool:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelgas View Post
    I put 50psi in the bags prior to heading out on our trip this past weekend. This eliminated the sag. As far as the chucking issue, I only had the trip home from the dealership with an empty rig as a measure of comparison (and the memories of our old Holiday Rambler years ago) but I was super-pleased with the difference the airbags made to the overall ride. I would say that chucking was essentially non-existent...or at least not noticeable to me. I never felt pulled back in the seat over bumps or anything like that. Is that a direct result of the airbags installation? I’m not entirely sure but it did feel much (MUCH!) better over bridge transitions on the interstate. The overall ride with the airbags was significantly better in my opinion.

traveldawg - we are envious of your travel map...lots of color...we hope to use ours like this over time.
    Steve, Jensen, You should know that map dates back to 1988 at least. Although I admit that those western areas and Canadian provinces have been visited some we retired about 5 years ago. Thanks for the comments and the info on the air bags.
    Larry KE4DMG

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123