User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion Observation Camera

This one's on me!

We had our Reflection 5th wheel in for the annual inspection in March. While there I had them install and wire the observation camera to the trailers running lights. Memorial Day Weekend was the first trip since we had the observation camera. Had no problems from Austin to Kerrville on Friday.

Come Monday morning and we're leaving Kerrville to go back to Austin. The camera would not work, had power but wouldn't display a picture. The DW got out the manual and read it cover to cover and couldn't find anything wrong. Was starting to doubt my instance on the purchase of an observation camera. On Hwy 290 nearly to Dripping Springs (only 15 miles from home) I dropped my sun glasses, when I reached for them I realized that the trucks headlights were not on. Quickly turned them on and walla the camera started working. I quickly praised the DW for her research and technical patients. Then told her what I had forgotten to do. I thought it was funny, she didn't.

Moral of story, If you have your observation camera wired to the running lights, be sure to turn the headlights on before you leave the campsite. And if you do forget and then remember - admit your mistake. Praising the DW for her technical savvy will only make the problem worse. And when the DW says she wonders if the monitor will work when the sun doesn't shine, remember she is not talking about night.

With deep apologizes to the DW!
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems to be a pretty common problem
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turning the lights on isn't a problem. Remembering to turn them off is. I'm not used to turning the lights off since I normally have them set to automatic.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2013 F350 Ultimate Lariat PSD/CC/LB/FX4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed the Furrion observation camera today. I had to rewire it to get power from the running lights. I know the issue AustexGP had is in my future.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish GD would provide a lead from the running lights as well as the constant power lead they supply. I didn’t want my camera on all the time either so I had to fish a wire to the running lights as you did. Not sure why anyone would want to leave the camera hot for as that would be a draw on the battery when not on shore power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If y'all drive with the headlights on automatic, put a box or a dark cover over the light sensor that is in the center of the dash. Then you will have the camera working and not have to worry about the lights running the battery down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Be careful of the things you say and do
    for little eyes are watching you.
    Believe it or not, YOU are a role model.
    2019 Reflection 315 RLTS 2016 Ford F250 diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
    If y'all drive with the headlights on automatic, put a box or a dark cover over the light sensor that is in the center of the dash. Then you will have the camera working and not have to worry about the lights running the battery down.
    Or if you live in Canada where we have mandatory daytime running light laws, the problem is solved!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have y’all noticed the power dropping out from time to time? It seems to skip and delay then drop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
    Have y’all noticed the power dropping out from time to time? It seems to skip and delay then drop
    In my case, that usually is happening on bumpy roads. The vibrations seem to sometimes loosen the plug in the power connection.
    Barb and Blair, retired and loving it
    2017 F250 Lariat Super Cab, Short bed, 4x4, diesel, Tow Technology Bundle, Pullrite 16K Autoslide
    2017 Reflection 307MKS, 3/17 Build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a funny thread. Too bad the display can't talk to the camera and say "I'm on so you should turn on."
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch