User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic refrigerator 12 cubic ft. RM1350 LP power draw, draining batteries

We have a 2018 Reflection 303RLS, it came with the Dometic 12 cubic ft. refer.
    I installed 200AH of Lithium batteries and installed the Victron BMV-712 power monitor (works great)
    We are on our first dry camping trip i found the refer is using ~2 amps/hr of power while on LP gas!
    The Victron determined at the rate of draw I would be out of power in 48 hours.

I contacted both GD and Dometic, they stated 1.5 - 2.5 amps is normal for this unit.
    I have had previous RV trailers with the smaller 8 cubic ft. refer and never had a power issue dry camping.
    Dometic stated there is a frame heater to prevent icing but disabling it would void the warranty (uses ~.5 amps)
    Also, this refer has 2 exhaust fans that will turn on intermittently (kinda loud) and will pull an additional .5 - 1 amp when on

Anyone else experience this with the same refer and do you have power issues?
    What is your experience with power while dry camping in a similar trailer with this Dometic Fridge?
    Any mods you have made or other solutions?
    Jeff
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    RAM 3500 SRW Crew Cummins LB 4WD (Stretch)
    Curt A16
    Battle Born Lithium batteries, Victron BMV-712, GoPower 2k Inverter with remote, Zamp 160W portable Solar,
    Custom converter disable switch for inverter use, more mods in the works

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CaliforniaJeff - All you numbers sound right. You have a good handle on this . I think this is the price of a “near residential” fridge.

Additional comment: Consider joining this forum as a site sponsor . . . we can use your insight .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i know i am answering my own question here but i did some searching on the "interweb" and found this site:
    https://rvtravel.com/reduce-unwanted...-refrigerator/
    It appears you can temporarily disable the frame heater and free up a significant amount of power usage while dry camping with your Dometic 12cu ft refer!
    Gonna try it tomorrow, i will post my result.
    Last edited by CaliforniaJeff; 05-30-2018 at 08:10 PM.
    Jeff
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    Curt A16
    Battle Born Lithium batteries, Victron BMV-712, GoPower 2k Inverter with remote, Zamp 160W portable Solar,

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the frame heater ? Never heard this before.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The manual shows it as the Climate control heater or Frame heater.
    It helps to reduce sweating and ice buildup inside the fridge but i figure when you are dry camping for a period of time just disable it and defrost when you are back on shore power if needed.You can just reconnect it at that point.
    Jeff
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    Curt A16

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Victron, did you change what I think was called the state of charge relay setting. I'm not sure what the relay does but the default is 50% and that is what is being used to determine percentage and time remaining. Its set at 50 for normal batteries that are not supposed to drain below 50%. Lithium can go much lower. I noticed that on mine when the math didn't work between amp hours being used and time remaining. Battle born told me you will get the full 200 hours out of the batteries.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the setup Victron help.
    I am new to the Victron. I didn't know about that setting. Watched a few of the videos they have but they don't mention the state of charge setting. What did you set it to? Do you know where in the setup it is on the unit or from the bluetooth connected App?
    Jeff
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    Curt A16

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new with it also, just installed it on Monday. I have set everything on the app. I think I set mine for 5% because I cant find any info on what the "relay" is for. Just that is what they use for the time remaining. They could use a little more info on what is what.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you disconnect your frame heater take pictures of where it is how you got to it. Could always add a switch for dry camping mode. Also wonder what could be done with the fans to save energy. So far I have only heard mine when the ambient air is is hot otherwise I haven't heard them kick on below 75 or so however only been on two trips so far.
    2018 3500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB
    2014 2500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB(sold)
    Pullrite 2700 Autoslider
    Timbrens
    2018 28bh 5th wheel
    X23B Jayco (sold)
    1991 Pop-up (sold)
    Tent (might bring along so I know what camping is like again)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I'm new with it also, just installed it on Monday. I have set everything on the app. I think I set mine for 5% because I cant find any info on what the "relay" is for. Just that is what they use for the time remaining. They could use a little more info on what is what.
    I changed the SOC low point to 7% and sure enough it increased the time remaining, thx for the tip.
    I also changed the tail current from the default of 4% to 2.1%, the tech at Victron recommended changing this setting as well since i use a portable solar panel or if you have solar on your RV . Nice to see the solar adding to my batts during the day basically making up twice what my usage is. Definitely recommend solar to everyone, negates having to run a gen. Also nice to see how easy the Lithium batteries take the solar charge.
    Jeff
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    Curt A16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast