Thread: Boondocking 101

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Boondocking 101

Family and friends constantly ask us "what is boondocking?"
    Below is a link to a great article I found on Campendium that explains it in some detail along with some terrific suggestions and ''rules'' for people new to this lifestyle.
    Perhaps worthy of a sticky?

LINK
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Number 3
    Turning around. Regardless of why a place doesn’t end up working out, you’ll want to consider your comfort with getting out of what might be a sticky situation. For example, you drive 18 miles back a thin dirt road only to find you can’t fit in one of the available campsites…or turn around. Keep potential exit strategies in mind as you drive, and if you’re not comfortable backing up or turning around in tight quarters, think twice before venturing down an unknown road.

I surveyed a place to camp with the pick-up camper years ago off Oregon hwy 126 heading to the coast with my work van on one of my many trips to the coast. One friday evening my wife and I head off after work. We drive up the gravel spur road to the top where I will turn around. I get the rear tire off the gravel and start sinking and spinning. STOP. Get out and look in the dark with a flashlight. I ended up doing a 16 point turn on top of the patch of gravel, trying not to get in the soft clay muck.
    Once turned around; we found a nice level spot and had a very quiet night.

The pick-up camper is so easy to boondock in. Many, many nights at the sno-parks too. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021