User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can slides be used when not level?

Slides are to be used only when level, according to the manual. But I’m wondering how close to level you need to be. Can they be opened while connected to the truck on a slight side slope, like a road crown? What about on a slight up slope?

I want to open at least the kitchen slide when on the road and stopping for a break.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob - we have had some camp spots over the years (Rocky Mtns. come to mind) not level even after using all our blocking material with prior RVs and the slight non-level never seemed to create any problems. There have been a few times where we have been slightly off with our 303 too about a full bubble or so.

Heck, I have seen some RV dealers lots where RV slides are opened and closed on pretty unlevel conditions so the dealers don't seem to care and/or they believe that some (pretty severe at times) unlevel situations are not a real issue. I have also seen dealers hook onto and pull units with the slides deployed and the coach quite unlevel when hooked up around the lot.

It would seem that the engineers would anticipate some non-level operation of slides and the design/build would accommodate this as with most any other product to have some reasonable tolerance limits built in.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.....maybe.....depends. We open our kitchen slide at rest areas and stops all the time to access the fridge and pantry. Frequently this was not exactly level. Never had any issues....yet.....
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have to extend the slides to unload the coach and I have to do it before backing in next to the house. Our driveway slopes a bit but keeping hooked to the truck and just grounding the levelers has not caused any problems. I think if the platform is solid, a bit off level does no harm.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue is the strain on the slide-out system. The less level you are, the more strain you put on the slide-out system. Can you get away with putting strain on the system? For sure. How detrimental is it? I am not sure. My floor plan won't let me access the fridge with the slides in. I keep everything I want to access while travelling in a cooler in the bed of the truck. I choose not to extend the slides unless I am level.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to several dealerships across this nation where I've seen them moving TT and 5th wheels with a fork lift with the slides out. I've asked about it a couple of times and the response has been pretty much the same "it doesn't hurt if you keep it fairly level.....we don't lift them very much" (they don't even retract the front landing gear after they've lifted it). They roll it across the lot or closer to the shop or where ever and sit it back down and go off to something else.

If you have a Momentum 376TH or the Solitude 374TH you have to put the slides out to have access to your kitchen, bathroom or bedroom and if you're at walmart or even a roadside rest area to have lunch......you're still hooked up and they have to go out to get access.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg