User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rack & pinion slide leaving mark on carpet and floor normal?

On our 27RL Reflection the dinette/tv slide has been leaving marks on the vinyl flooring as well as about a 3-4 inch black mark on the carpeting at the rear end of the slide ever since we bought it new last October. The dealer is telling me it's normal but it seems to me that the slide is out of adjustment causing it to drag on one end. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? Any suggestions?

Phyllis & Dennis

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Others have reported similar problems but it has never been an issue on our 303. I don't see how that is normal. It sure shouldn't be.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    46 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
    On our 27RL Reflection the dinette/tv slide has been leaving marks on the vinyl flooring as well as about a 3-4 inch black mark on the carpeting at the rear end of the slide ever since we bought it new last October. The dealer is telling me it's normal but it seems to me that the slide is out of adjustment causing it to drag on one end. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? Any suggestions?

Phyllis & Dennis
    Good afternoon! First question would be... is the slide out sealing well for you? Is it coming in top first then sealing tight at bottom? Is there any jumping or popping when operating the slide?

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EStahley View Post
    Good afternoon! First question would be... is the slide out sealing well for you? Is it coming in top first then sealing tight at bottom? Is there any jumping or popping when operating the slide?
    No jumping or popping and sealing good. Just leaving ski marks on carpet and floor on one end of slide.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dinette slides do not usually have rollers underneath. They slide plastic-on-plastic because they are relatively lightweight and this keeps the slide floor as close to the main floor level as possible. We had these same marks on our 303 floor and discussed this with the GDRV technicians at one of the early rallies. Their recommendation was that they indeed could not do much about this, but recommended a product called "slide slicker". https://www.lci1.com/slideout-slicker It is a bit of a pain to place these at each end of the slide (where the black marks are on the carpet) whenever we bring the slide in . . . but our main floor remains unmarked . . . so this is worth doing.

If you decide to get these, be aware that there are two kinds . . . one with nibs on the underside for protecting carpet and one with foam strips for protecting vinyl flooring. You want the latter.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Dinette slides do not usually have rollers underneath. They slide plastic-on-plastic because they are relatively lightweight and this keeps the slide floor as close to the main floor level as possible. We had these same marks on our 303 floor and discussed this with the GDRV technicians at one of the early rallies. Their recommendation was that they indeed could not do much about this, but recommended a product called "slide slicker". https://www.lci1.com/slideout-slicker It is a bit of a pain to place these at each end of the slide (where the black marks are on the carpet) whenever we bring the slide in . . . but our main floor remains unmarked . . . so this is worth doing.

If you decide to get these, be aware that there are two kinds . . . one with nibs on the underside for protecting carpet and one with foam strips for protecting vinyl flooring. You want the latter.

Rob
    Thanks Rob. We've been using a plastic table place mat and it has protected the vinyl flooring from further marks but it won't fit under the slide to protect the carpet. It just pushes the place mat until it reaches the vinyl. I guess we're lucky that it doesn't rub the flooring on both ends of the slide.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dennysbabe - The slide slickers for vinyl floor have a few nibs on the underside near the one end to grip the carpet. We actually had to trim a few of these off to make sure they did not miss the carpet and get pressed into the flooring. Our process is to bring the slide in a couple of inches, then insert the slide slickers under the slide ends. The slide is too tight to the floor in the fully extended position to get the strips under it. Then we watch the strips as the slide comes in. If everything is right, the slide slicker does not move with the slide.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had followed Rob’s lead a couple years ago. The black marks are coming from the plastic along the edge of the slide. I had went through the motion of cleaning them before pulling in the skid with limited results. This approach solves the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CManley View Post
    I had followed Rob’s lead a couple years ago. The black marks are coming from the plastic along the edge of the slide. I had went through the motion of cleaning them before pulling in the skid with limited results. This approach solves the problem.
    Hey Chuck . . . thanks for adding the pictures . . . that is exactly what I was trying to describe.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
    I might add to my previous response that I spoke to GD yesterday and was told the ski marks at one end of the slide indicate that the slide should be adjusted even though the dealer says it's "normal" and nothing can be done. GD suggested we go higher up to the Distribution Manager for Mike Thompson's RV to get it done or take it to another repair place. If I ever get my RV back I'm inclined to take it elsewhere for adjustment because obviously Mike Thompson's service department is too incompetent and would probably do more harm than good. Until then we'll try the slide slickers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast