User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitches and chains

I have a question about safety chains. In Minnesota if you using a ball mount hitch you need safety chains. I E the Andersen ultimate. But my question is if i was to get the Demco 21K Recon DBL Pivot Goose Neck Ball Mount. Would I need safety chains for that set up. I already have there factory prep bracket so going with the rail mount wouldn't be a problem.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott d View Post
    I have a question about safety chains. In Minnesota if you using a ball mount hitch you need safety chains. I E the Andersen ultimate. But my question is if i was to get the Demco 21K Recon DBL Pivot Goose Neck Ball Mount. Would I need safety chains for that set up. I already have there factory prep bracket so going with the rail mount wouldn't be a problem.
    You should not need chains because of the locking jaws of the 5th wheel hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats is what I was thinking. What keeps the whole hitch from turning? Is it just pressure to the bed floor?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Andersen Ultimate and got the safety chains. Not a big expense and not a big deal to use. Legal technicalities aside, if a trooper stops me thinking that my hitch should have safety chains I don't want to have to go before a judge to get it adjudicated. I would call it insurance.

As to why doesn't the hitch turn. Yes, the pressure and friction between the bed and hitch results in a force that greatly exceeds any rotating force between the ball and receiver.
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD