Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did something exciting today! - Owning More Than One RV

So, this is either exciting or crazy, but I'm going with exciting! We will be retiring in just a little under 2 years and our dream trip is to go up to Alaska on the AlCan highway. We've been to Alaska a couple times, but flew in and rented a car. We have the 230RL, which we love, but wanted something smaller to take up there. We also want to visit a lot of the national parks and thought something smaller would be better given that so many of the parks are older with smaller camping sites.

So...we bought a 2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106FBS. We are keeping it in the GD family! The overall length is 21'11". The one we are getting has the factory "off road" package with the axle lift and 15" tires. It's a really nice trailer and we feel we got a good deal. We looked a lot and finally selected this one. We wanted one that had full access to bathroom, fridge, or bed when stopped, dual axels (hard to find in this size), decent size bathroom (no cassette showers), and decent storage. We are getting the Equalizer hitch. We'll pick it up this coming Saturday. We'll have a learning curve towing a travel trailer, hitching/unhitching, backing up, etc., but that will be part of the adventure. We'll use the 230RL for closer vacations, or sites where we know "bigger" rigs can get in easily, or where we just want a little more space to relax.

So our purchase made me wonder if others have more than one RV. If you do, how many and what do you use them for?
    June and Charlie, Kitty Gracie, Puppies Ellie and Ruby, Oklahoma City, OK
    2022 Arctic Fox 22G
    2019 Winnebago 2106FBS Micro Minnie (Sold); 2018 Reflection 230RL (Sold)
    2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Lance 1030 slide in camper. We use it for smaller Forest Service campgrounds, if we are going to move a lot, & to pull the boat. I did have a custom tent trailer with 33" tires on 15" wheels I made out of an old 1950 era Jeep trailer, queen size bed, dressing room, porta potty with storage under the bed. Towed it behind my Jeep. Couldn't get the DW to "dirt camp" anymore after I bought our first fifth wheel so I sold it...sure did like that trailer.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have a Lance truck camper we bought in 2004. Next time we go to Alaska we're going in that.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Mico Minie is cute! Going to be an epic trip.

We have owned a few RV's but never more than one at the same time.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    That Mico Minie is cute! Going to be an epic trip.

We have owned a few RV's but never more than one at the same time.

LOL! It's never too late to have more than one!
    June and Charlie, Kitty Gracie, Puppies Ellie and Ruby, Oklahoma City, OK
    2022 Arctic Fox 22G
    2019 Winnebago 2106FBS Micro Minnie (Sold); 2018 Reflection 230RL (Sold)
    2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Coachman Crossfit and use it for longer trips or if I want easy, fast and great gas mileage. It is fully contained. I am taking delivery of a Grand Design fifth wheel 150 series 230RL tomorrow as well. It sounds crazy to some to have two RV vehicles at once, but I know my travels have varying needs, and I am tired of not having those needs met. I want to use the Grand Design for my work travel and long stay travel and the Coachman for destination travel--need to get there faster travel. I will be down to two vehicles, the Coachman, which is on a Ford Transit 350HD and drives like a dream (really, it is an easy, comfortable vehicle) and a Dodge 2500 (was going with gas, but have reversed course on that and will get the diesel instead, probably next week). The deals on the diesels are much better than the first terrible dealership I shopped. I felt a little strange as I drove into Bluedog RV in my Coachman B-van to buy a fifth wheel, but hey, you only live once and I love to travel. I put 7000 miles on the Coachman this Summer driving California to TN, the long scenic route. My next major trip will be a GD trip that will include more exploring of a particular area, rather than quick pass throughs. I love photographing my travels and there is abundant space in the GD for equipment, and with a 4x4 truck I will have a little more freedom to explore. The sky is the limit. Further, I have gotten very good at keeping it simple and relatively minimalistic and will use those same techniques in the GD not only to save weight, but to be more stealth. Will work to make the GD self contained with generator add, solar add and a few conveniences in the kitchen that I have missed, including my blentec and instant pot. Hot, easy food is coming my way. I am thrilled to be a 2 RV family with my love and my dogs (the van is a little tight with a charcoal lab puppy). I say, do what you want!!!