Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Dometic refrigerator still not working - any ideas?

As I think I posted previously, our Dometic fridge in our 2018 Reflection 27RL went out on the way home during our last trip. Obviously it was on propane for the trip home but when we got home it was defrosting with no power to the unit. No breaker off, no fuses blown and no GFI outlets affected. As of yesterday it has been 7 weeks since we took it to the dealer (Mike Thompson's RV in Colton) for repair. We were informed yesterday that the new electrical cord (the ground wire was broken) didn't fix it and they replaced a circuit board that didn't fix it so now they're looking for something else that might be wrong. At this rate I'm thinking it could be another 7 weeks and not fixed and I am beyond frustrated! Has anyone else experienced a problem like this on their fridge and have any suggestions I might give this incompetent service department.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call Grand Design and Dometic. They should have already had a new fridge in your unit. 7 weeks is unacceptable.
    2023 Ram 2500 Mega diesel
    2023 Imagine 2910
    Gone but not forgotten:
    2018 Imagine 2400BH - with chaise lounge

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! A report like this about MTRV's service...I am SHOCKED! (ok that's sarcasm.) As mentioned above, contact GD. MTRV is giving you the run around. Par for their course.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dometic fridge in our 337 went out shortly after we got it. Missy at GD just blew me off on the phone and said GD couldn't help it was warranted by Dometic. I called a local independent shop and they got me in in just a couple of days. They said they did a lot of Dometic warrantee work. They looked at it right away, talked to Dometic and a new unit was shipped. Unfortunately, it took three tries before a working unit arrived, but I really can't complain about Dometic or my shop. Each time it took a day to install it, a day or so to test it, then a couple of days shipping. Been working great ever since. Stuff happens, the difference is how the problem is handled.

The hardest lesson I've learned after four RV's is that service is not part of a dealers business model. They service what they have to fix to get it out the door and couldn't care less after that.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you call Dometic. Have your serial number and model number and talk to them. See if they can tell you your dealer even called them for help. We had a problem refrigerator. After a week our dealer called Dometic and they guided them through a process of checking things out. Then Dometic decided it was a bad unit. Total time about three weeks. Explain to them what’s going on with the dealer if they aren’t giving you any answers that show the dealer is doing anything. Maybe they will call them. If you don’t have your serial number and model number call your dealer and tell them you need it. If they give you a story line call GD have your vin number and they should be able to give it to you.

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
    As I think I posted previously, our Dometic fridge in our 2018 Reflection 27RL went out on the way home during our last trip. Obviously it was on propane for the trip home but when we got home it was defrosting with no power to the unit. No breaker off, no fuses blown and no GFI outlets affected. As of yesterday it has been 7 weeks since we took it to the dealer (Mike Thompson's RV in Colton) for repair. We were informed yesterday that the new electrical cord (the ground wire was broken) didn't fix it and they replaced a circuit board that didn't fix it so now they're looking for something else that might be wrong. At this rate I'm thinking it could be another 7 weeks and not fixed and I am beyond frustrated! Has anyone else experienced a problem like this on their fridge and have any suggestions I might give this incompetent service department.
    UPDATE:
    We picked up our RV yesterday and thankfully the fridge is nice and cold (I insisted they keep it plugged in to prove to us that it was working). According to them, besides the power cord and lower circuit board (the brain?) they replaced a thermos sensor. At lease it's now working and we can camp again!

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Wow! A report like this about MTRV's service...I am SHOCKED! (ok that's sarcasm.) As mentioned above, contact GD. MTRV is giving you the run around. Par for their course.
    I've already talked to GD and they had the MTRV Distribution Manager contact me. I'm definitely not the Colton service department's favorite person but they left me no choice. When they give me the run around I call and text the Distribution Mgr and things get expedited a bit but even that process is frustrating. After 7 weeks in the shop they STILL failed to replace one of the four decals that were damaged before the purchase. They are a real joke! I swore we'd never take it back to them again but not sure how we'll get the decal replaced if we don't. Some of the other things they failed to fix or mickey-moused we're gonna fix ourselves. I sure hope GD will stand behind their word and authorize any future warranty repairs through a non-dealer RV service center.