User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rob
    You know there is and easier way - just get the R20 hitch, I know you want to
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Rob
    You know there is and easier way - just get the R20 hitch, I know you want to
    Other than the minor clunk (which Reese has obviously identified too) I am pretty happy with my hitch. You have given me some good insight into how Reese solved the problem. I think I can invent something similar.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best of luck on the inventing.
    Hopefully you cant fault me for trying.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reese Titan 16K Modification

Per earlier posts on this thread, my Reese Titan 16K hitch had a slight "clunk" due to clearance between the cross beam pins and the cast head. Reese solved this with neoprene bumpers on their latest 20K version . . . as described by Keith (powerscol) in this thread. There was no way to fit these bumpers to the earlier hitch so I needed another plan.

I had been using pieces of felt to fill the clearance gap, but these would only last a short time. Plan B was to make a nylon disc to exactly fill this gap and hold it in place with a small bolt through a hole drilled in the head casting. The bolt is a loose fit in the casting so that if the nylon wears away or breaks, the bolt will fall out and will not come a point load into the casting.

To and from the recent Indiana Rally (800 miles round trip) and the clunk is completely gone from the hitch . The nylon disc does not show any appreciable wear. Problem solved!

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2937.jpg  
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-08-2018 at 03:19 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its amazing about the information shared and learned hear. Maybe you can sell the idea to Reese?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Head Pin klik pins bending

I have had a problem with the Head Pan Assembly Klik pins for my R20 hitch. Some how the klick pins that go into the Head pins are being bent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image 5-17-19 at 10.02 AM.jpg   klik pin.jpg  

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreitz View Post
    I have had a problem with the Head Pan Assembly Klik pins for my R20 hitch. Some how the klick pins that go into the Head pins are being bent
    Hi Wreitz,

I have the Reese R16 hitch which has a different retention system than your R20 . . . but, I am interested in understanding this. It would take a lot of force to bend that retaining pin like that. Something in the action of the hitch is leaning heavily on that pin. This has to be in an inward/outward direction, or the main pin would just rotate. There should be a "witness mark" on whatever is hitting this pin.

I can see in the diagram that it shows the retaining pin on the inside . . . but, it would kind of make sense (to me) to insert the main pin from the inside and install the retaining pin on the outside of the head where is is more accessible and less likely run into something.

Have you discussed this problem with Reese? They are usually pretty good about responding to things like this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you putting the pins on the outside? If so this may be the issue. Somewhere I read that the pins should be installed on the inside as shown in the assembly instructions. I remember running across this when researching getting it. If they are on the outside the compression of the bushing will allow contact with the head. If it stops raining today I will look at mine. Rob is correct - Give Reese a call.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that the Head Pin is not keyed to prevent it from rotating and as it rotates so that the klik pin is vertical with the klik pin head dropping down to its ring it is then able to come into contact with the Pivot Beam. The klik pin then bends at the Head Pin hole, it keeps bending until I suppose it gets to a point that it doesn't hit the Pivot Beam. One of my klick pins is bent more than the other that one had to be driven out of the Head Pin. There isn't enough space to put the Head Pin in from the inside. I am thinking of taking a piece of 1/4 " tubing and slipping it onto the klick pin after putting it into the Head Pin to take up the distance between the Head Pin and the klick pin ring so the when the Head Pin rotates the klick pin will not drop. The Head Pin should have been designed with a head that would key it from rotating the klik pin hole vertically. I have been in touch with Reese, HorizonGlobal and they are sending me new klik pins but had no suggestions to correct the problem.
    Last edited by Wreitz; 05-17-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klik pin

This allows the Head Pin to rotate and the Klik Pin to go around freely
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails klik pin tubing 2.jpg   klik pin tubing.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast