User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Reese R20 5th Wheel Hitch # 30867 install

Well folks after some research I decided on the Reese 30867 hitch. Best price I found was on Amazon with free shipping. Took 6 days but I got here. Would have been sooner but freight line only comes to Durango once a week.

My 18 year old Reese 15K was showing a little age with the typical clunking etc.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	13260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0047.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	13261

It sat wider on the rails than the new one.

To start the install I disassembled the hitch in the box. It breaks down into 3 pieces that are fairly easy to handle. First I installed the legs and then the cross beam. I did not tighten down the bolts to the legs as I was not sure where it would put me height wise. Then the rocker was installed. When I separated it from the head in the box the large washers fell out. They go behind the isolation dampers before you put the head on. Everything is held together with pins and locking clevises. The blue rocker is bolted to the cross beam with isolation blocks . Pin goes through everything and has a castle nut with clasp. Head is attached to the blue rocker with pins through the isolation dampers. Shims take up and slack for a snug fit.

Name:	IMG_0052.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	13263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	13264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	13265
    Last edited by powerscol; 06-14-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Next is the head assembly. There are two zerks for grease on the jaws. I greased these before installing so everything operated smoothly. I also had to ream out the locking hole on the handle. (photo of bolt in hole for shipping)

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	13266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	13267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	13268

This hitch comes with a lube cover, so the typical round lube plate is not needed. Tomorrow I will be testing the hook-up after lubing the jaw face. Ill report back once I use it to tow a bit, but it does not clunk when manually working it and it should dampen or eliminate and chucking.
    One thin I did notice is my old hitch, the jaws had maybe 75% contact around the king pin. The new hitch has close to 100% clamping around the king pin
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Keith - looks very similar to my R16 Reese Titan but with some heftier components.
    What are the yellow blocks made of? I don’t have these, but do have a small fwd/aft clunk at this connection point. Are these cushions of some kind?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes they appear to be neoprene or pliable plastic.
    Also the blue rocker assembly can be turned to offset the hitch about 2" (I'm guessing at that). I set it to the rear of the truck to get more tailgate clearance when down. On you hitch does the cross beam have projections around the pin where you might get and trim these blocks to fit? Might be worth a call to Reese.

Here is a picture of the beam without the blocks on it.

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	13284

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Keith,

The retention system between the head and the cross beam is completely different on my hitch. The projections on the cross beam are solid and there are two crosswise pins that retain the head to these projections. It looks like yours uses a fore/aft pin through hollow projections.

My cross beam is symmetrical, so no opportunity to adjust fore/aft pin position. Also, my cross beam is a stamping where yours looks to be a cast part which would be stronger.

I have inserted felt bumpers in the blue carrier sockets to damp the fore/aft clunk and this works for a short while. I am going to try and fashion something more robust that surrounds these sockets more like the yellow bumpers on yours. I will contact Reese and see what they have to say.

Thanks for sharing the details of how your hitch goes together . . . it has given me some good ideas!

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2620.jpg   IMG_2626.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Keith - Could you take some measurements of the yellow pivot beam isolators for me? I want to see if I can make these work in my R16. Outside, hole diameter and thickness.

Thanks
    Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 58455.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hey Keith - Could you take some measurements of the yellow pivot beam isolators for me? I want to see if I can make these work in my R16. Outside, hole diameter and thickness.

Thanks
    Rob
    Rob - glad to help
    OD on the bushing welded to the cross beam is 1 5/8". The ID of the hole in the block is a smudge smaller (1/16") so you get a friction fit. Blocks are 1 1/8" thick and blocks measure 4 1/2" by 4 3/8", Inside my blue rocker are a couple of ridges that retain the blocks in position.

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg 
Views:	32 
ID:	13300

I think you can see them in this picture

Im getting better at taking it apart and back together - about 2 minutes total....assuming I don't hid anything.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Keith,

The retention system between the head and the cross beam is completely different on my hitch. The projections on the cross beam are solid and there are two crosswise pins that retain the head to these projections. It looks like yours uses a fore/aft pin through hollow projections.

My cross beam is symmetrical, so no opportunity to adjust fore/aft pin position. Also, my cross beam is a stamping where yours looks to be a cast part which would be stronger.

I have inserted felt bumpers in the blue carrier sockets to damp the fore/aft clunk and this works for a short while. I am going to try and fashion something more robust that surrounds these sockets more like the yellow bumpers on yours. I will contact Reese and see what they have to say.

Thanks for sharing the details of how your hitch goes together . . . it has given me some good ideas!

Rob
    Rob - in the picture of the underside of your head there appear to be two holes either side of and below the pin. What are they used for? If nothing they could be used to hols the block in place with a couple of screws. If your handy with a dremell tool you could hollow out the block as needed to get the retaining pin in and still have the block between the cross frame and rocker assembly.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Had a chance to hook up and all I can say is it is a snug fit with zero slop. I did need to rock the hook up once to get a complete lock (no noise in the hitch dong this until I heard the click of the handle dropping the last bit) , but the instructions say to expect that. Unhooking was easy. The handle is a better fit for my hand and reach I just need to remember handle up when docking and keep the king pin low on approach so it rides up and in. Its a little lower that what I would do with my old hitch. Next week I will be towing to get tires balanced and unit weighed with full water tank.

So far I am happy with this investment.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Rob - glad to help
    OD on the bushing welded to the cross beam is 1 5/8". The ID of the hole in the block is a smudge smaller (1/16") so you get a friction fit. Blocks are 1 1/8" thick and blocks measure 4 1/2" by 4 3/8", Inside my blue rocker are a couple of ridges that retain the blocks in position.

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg 
Views:	32 
ID:	13300

I think you can see them in this picture

Im getting better at taking it apart and back together - about 2 minutes total....assuming I don't hid anything.
    Hi Keith - Thanks for the measurements! I will mock this up with something of similar size to see if I can "whittle" the right material into a proper fit.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast