User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiring diagram for external 50amp plug on 2018 Reflection 337rls

I was installing a Progressive 50 amp surge/ ems protector. Hard wired version. I was changing a piece of wire from the external twist lock 50 amp plug to run to my Progressive unit. The wire that came with the trailer that was connected to the plug had the white wire to the lug painted white, the black wire to the lug painted red and the red wire to the lug that had no color markings. Does anyone understand why this is wired this why? Iam sure its normal wiring practice. At the present time Iam pluged into a 30amp plug and everything is normal. Next week Ill be pluged into a 50amp and assuming everything will also be ok. I get an E0 code on my display telling me everything is ok. I wired it back up the same way. If I didn’t pay attention to the color markings I would have followed the wire colors to the plug wire codes. I used a 6/3 with ground wire same as GD used. My reason for adding the four foot piece of wire made wiring the Progressive unit easier. I took the wire from the plug and hooked it to the Progressive unit and put a four foot piece of wire from the unit to the plug. This made connecting all the wire much easier, did most of the work at the storage door opening and also still have all the original wire there if wanted to go back to a factory wire install. Thanks for any answers. Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so your 50amp service is actually made up of 4wires, these are 2 hot legs of 120v each, 1 natural wire (return), and ground. The 2 hot legs give the potential of 240 v operation even though rv’s never run anything that way. Your red and black wires are the hot leads and the white is your neutral. It is irrelevant which color wire goes on which hot connector. When you run your 30a service it is actually only 120 and shorts the hot across both hot legs inside the adaptor. Bottom line if your neutral is hooked up correctly and both hots are hooked up correctly you are good... If you smell smoke of see flames, worry...

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim (242 checkmate) - In standard 240VAC wiring red and black are the two "hot" legs and white is the neutral. Safety Ground is the bare wire. When this gets mixed in with 12VDC wiring, sometimes white wires are ground and sometimes black wires are ground. I would expect that when the original installer marked the 240VAC black wire as red, he was making sure that it did not get confused with a 12VDC ground circuit. The black and the red wires are interchangeable but can never be connected together because they are out of phase.

Just a guess . . .
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim: Thank you for your answer. Very well explained. I have one of those minds that likes to understand things. You always seem to have very good insight on replies. Thank you again. Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob: Thank you for your answer. You and Jim ( BabyBober ) set my mind at ease. You also are great at helping people. This forum has an Excellent group of people always wanting to help. Thank you again. Jim(242 checkmate)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    I like the 90 degree adapter also. Puts less strain on the connection point.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Marinco makes a nice product. I'm very pleased with this.
    Tom
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by st2rv View Post
    Jim,
    I like the 90 degree adapter also. Puts less strain on the connection point.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Marinco makes a nice product. I'm very pleased with this.
    Tom
    Tom - There are several earlier discussions on this forum about the cord weight on the 90 degree adapter twisting it enough to release the twistlock connection and in at least one case to disconnect the neutral connection to the trailer . . . which is dangerous. Just something to be aware of in routing your cord drop so it will not pull the 90 in the loosening direction.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS