Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New owner

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New owner

Just purchased a Grand Design Imagine 2400bh. Will a equalizer e2 hitch suffice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Welcome to our group! Someone will give you an opinion
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkins View Post
    Just purchased a Grand Design Imagine 2400bh. Will a equalizer e2 hitch suffice?
    Welcome and congratulations on your new trailer.

As I understand the Fastway e2 hitch, it provides sway control through two friction points where the spring bars bear on the L brackets. The Equal-i-zer 4-point hitch provides additional sway control through two more friction points were the spring bars attach to the hitch head. I assume the Equal-i-zer 4-point hitch might provide more sway control than the Fastway e2 hitch, but I don't have any experience with the Fastway e2 hitch.

Regardless of the type of hitch that you go with, I would recommend a 1,200-lb./12,000-lb. setup for the 2400BH. The advertised GVWR for that trailer is 7,495-lb. so the hitch weight could be up to 15% of the GVWR or 1,124-lb. Ignore the advertised unloaded hitch weight of 505-lb. because the only time you'll ever be close to that weight is during the trip home from the dealer.

Also, regardless of the type of hitch that you go with, be sure to read the owner's manual thoroughly to make sure you understand what the proper setup is. Even though the dealer may have installed that particular type of hitch hundreds of times before, that doesn't mean that he actually understands how it works and how it's supposed to be setup. I may take a few rounds of adjustments to get it setup just right, especially after you've got the trailer loaded up with several hundred lbs. of additional cargo in your "ready-to-go-camping" configuration.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and Congrats on your rig. Glad you're here.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a fastway e2 and a 2800bh. It works well for us.
    2018 Imagine 2800bh
    2018 Ram 2500
    6.4 heni

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkins View Post
    Congrats, and welcome to the GD group. I've got an Equalizer hitch and really like it's performance.

Keith 7 Patsy Staudt & Buttercup (pet dog)
    "Back 9 Adventures"
    Bridge City, Texas 77611

2018 GD 2150RB
    2012 Ford FX4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations and welcome to the club! I have been using an E2 setup for five years on two different trailers and am very happy with it. The main selling point for me was not having to remove the bars in order to back up and the general ease to install and remove the hitch. I would recommend contacting E2 and give them your numbers so that you get the correct size hitch, using a setup that is too far overrated for your rig will put too much weight onto the front of your tow rig. By the time your load your trailer, your actual hitch weight is going to be 1,000 lbs or so. Good luck!
    Steve & Cindy
    2018 Imagine 2250RK
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Denali

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome to the family. That hitch should work without a problem. Only advise that I can give is to take it slow the first couple of trips. Keep your speed under 65mph and keep plenty of distance between yourself and the car in front. It will take a little while to get comfortable with the slight sway that you'll get when a tractor trailer passes. After a few trips you'll start getting a feel of how the rig handles and have no problems.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I upgraded to the Equalizer 4way 1,000/10,000