Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emergency Road Service

I have a 5th Wheel (Solitude 310GK - 2017) and am wondering what is the best road service to buy for this vehicle? I have updated my AAA servce to "premium" which covers RV's but am wondering if there is a better service. From looking at online reviews it appears that there is a lot of criticism when it comes to service from various carriers especially in rural areas. Any ideas? Thanks. JT

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of our insurance policies are with USAA. We already had roadside assistance on the truck and car, so we just added that coverage for the fifth wheel. They have been very good to us. We're also looking into FMCA as they have a very good reputation and they've added towables to their membership criteria.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Sam has a fire sale on the internet $79.95, but it is Good Sam.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have USAA, but since they don't cover full timers insurance, we used good Sam for the rig. Used it once and they performed great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    We also have USAA, but since they don't cover full timers insurance, we used good Sam for the rig. Used it once and they performed great.

I think we've had this discussion in another thread, Alan. We are full-timers. USAA knows it and covers everything: car, truck, fifth wheel, personal effects, the stuff in storage, etc.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My State Farm policy on my truck covers the trailer. I also have separate trailer insurance, but roadside (towing) is covered under the truck.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emergency Road Service

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I think we've had this discussion in another thread, Alan. We are full-timers. USAA knows it and covers everything: car, truck, fifth wheel, personal effects, the stuff in storage, etc.

Rob
    Maybe need to recheck with them. When I retired in '14 and was going full-time, they told me at that time that they do not cover full-time living. I'll check again as I've been with them for 45 years now. Thanks.

Alan and Kathleen

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    Maybe need to recheck with them. When I retired in '14 and was going full-time, they told me at that time that they do not cover full-time living. I'll check again as I've been with them for 45 years now. Thanks.

I took your advice, Alan, and just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with USAA. The agent searched for a recent internal document and consulted her superiors. Bottom line: we are OK. She said full-time coverage is dependent on your state of domicile and the type of RV owned. In all cases, motorhomes are shunted to Progressive (unless you choose another company). Towables are insurable for full-time for Texas residents. She said that, for example, this would not be permitted in Florida and some other states but, as Texans, we are OK. She made notes in our USAA record of this conversation, the internal document number, and the supervisor with whom she consulted.

Out of curiosity, where are you domiciled?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emergency Road Service

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I took your advice, Alan, and just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with USAA. The agent searched for a recent internal document and consulted her superiors. Bottom line: we are OK. She said full-time coverage is dependent on your state of domicile and the type of RV owned. In all cases, motorhomes are shunted to Progressive (unless you choose another company). Towables are insurable for full-time for Texas residents. She said that, for example, this would not be permitted in Florida and some other states but, as Texans, we are OK. She made notes in our USAA record of this conversation, the internal document number, and the supervisor with whom she consulted.

Out of curiosity, where are you domiciled?

Rob
    Texas. We use Escapees as our residence address. Plus, we were Texans before we became full-timers. But, as I said, I'd contacted them in '14 and never checked again. Based on your conversation I'll contact them again. Every automobile I've owned since 1973 has been covered by them. Appreciate you pursuing it!

Alan and Kathleen

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy the Good Sam Platinum. I have had my 5th wheel towed three times. They paid the bill all 3 times. Of course each time was an adventure. My biggest complaint is that they are very slow. My second complaint is the people you talk with do not know RV's. My third complaint is that you have to have phone coverage for it to work. Another adventure.

The first question they ask is "are you in a safe location?". Then one time I answered no they had highway patrol there in about 15 minutes, but I had already called 911 so maybe it wasn't Good Sam.

The time we didn't have cell phone coverage we had to drive back to town to make the call, but service was bad, kept dropping. There was much confusion about who was going to do the tow (very rural, only one tow company had the equipment), and the location was really out there. As it turned out the tow company went and got the 5th wheel before Good Sam had "authorized" the tow, Good Sam said they wouldn't pay the bill, but I could submit a claim and they might pay it, I did, they paid, all's good.

I know most folks would get frustrated with this level of service. So why do I keep them? They have ultimately provided the service each time we needed it. Each time it was in a very rural part of the country with extremely limited road service capability. Very poor if any communication capability. I am not sure anyone could have done any better.

I also buy the Good Sam Travel Assist program. I do this for my wife, she cannot manage the RV by herself. No backing up capability. So if I should meet an unexpected demise this program will provide my widow a service to get the Momentum to anyplace she wants it to go.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast