Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Triple Towing???

In Michigan triple towing is allowed (tow vehicle, 5th wheel, boat etc.) up to 75 feet overall. If I stay on or near the interstates can I tow through other states that allow triple towing even if my overall length exceeds their maximum?

Thanks,

Gary Harkins

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that fifth wheel plus boat would be double towing (as just the fifth wheel would be single towing). I thought triple was the fifth wheel plus two trailers (similar to the long consists seen out west).
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some states call it triple towing and some call it double towing. My question is, tow vehicle-5th wheel-additional trailer. Can you tow with this configuration through states that allow it even if you are over their maximum length assuming that you stay on or near the interstate highways?

Gary Harkins

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I missed the length portion. No you can't exceed the total length allowed in your state. That said like anything else you'd have to get caught, but if you were towing two trailers through a state that normally does not allow it (although you'd be covered by Michigan's law so good there), you'd already have their attention, so I would say there's a high probability you'd get a ticket, and probably not be able to continue on your way with both trailers.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I started this thread was that Michigan has very liberal laws regarding triple towing. Michigan does require a special endorsement on your license to triple tow, but with that special endorsement allows towing to 75' overall length. That is more than any other adjoining state. So it would appear that, if I am towing like this I would be limited to Michigan. The only possible exception would be if other states that ALLOW TRIPLE TOWING would also allow a person to pass through their state assuming that they stay on or near the interstate. The DOT does not regulate this since it is not commercial. I guess what I'm looking for is personal experience on this subject. In other words, will officers give you a pass if you stay on the interstate?

Gary Harkins

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnussailor View Post
    Can you tow with this configuration through states that allow it Gary Harkins
    When I first started out I wanted to tow a little trailer behind my 5th wheel for small motorcycles. As I did my research I found that it is illegal in some states we planned on visiting. I did many searches on the internet on the subject, lots of good discussion. But bottom line is the states where it is illegal it's illegal. IF you are stopped you may be charged with a violation. IF you are stopped they have the right to make you unhook the back trailer, take the 5th wheel across the state line and then come back for the left trailer.

Given all the controversy and possible hassle we just bought a toy hauler instead.

Back in our boating and rv'ing days I pulled the 31' boat DW pulled the little camper with a separate truck.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnussailor View Post
    The reason I started this thread was that Michigan has very liberal laws regarding triple towing. Michigan does require a special endorsement on your license to triple tow, but with that special endorsement allows towing to 75' overall length. That is more than any other adjoining state. So it would appear that, if I am towing like this I would be limited to Michigan. The only possible exception would be if other states that ALLOW TRIPLE TOWING would also allow a person to pass through their state assuming that they stay on or near the interstate. The DOT does not regulate this since it is not commercial. I guess what I'm looking for is personal experience on this subject. In other words, will officers give you a pass if you stay on the interstate?

Gary Harkins
    The best thing to do would be to call the highway patrols in the states you're concerned with. Even on interstates, state laws apply and it is the state highway patrol that enforces the laws. Just because others have gotten away with it doesn't mean you will and it's not worth the inconvenience - or fines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)