User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

Do you have to change any on the charge parameters on the converter/charger or solar charger, or does the BMS take care of all that for you?

Thanks,
    George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webpilot View Post
    Jim,

Do you have to change any on the charge parameters on the converter/charger or solar charger, or does the BMS take care of all that for you?

Thanks,
    George
    According to their website, the chargers should have 14.4V bulk and a float of 13.6V or lower. My WFCO 9855 provides 14.4V bulk, and 13.2V Float. If it ever fails, Progressive Dynamics sells converters that are specifically made for lithium batteries.

In addition, when I'm charging via Solar, my MPPT controller can be adjusted to meet the parameters specified by Battle Born.

Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim!
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Alan - I'm probably drinking the Kool-aid myself. But here is my attempt to justify it:

I need 200 usable amp hours from my batteries for the items I run in a 24 hour period. I can achieve that with two lithium batteries which can be discharged 95 to 100% without damage, or four lead/acid or AGM batteries which can be can only utilize 50% depth of discharge.

A Battle Born lithium battery with it's on-board battery management system can handle 3000-5000 (10-15 years) discharge cycles before it is depleted to about 85% of it's original power. A lead/acid battery can typically handle 200-300 (18-24 months) cycles in it's lifetime.

Let's take the worst case life for the lithium of ten years, and the best case life for a lead acid at two years.

Two Battle Born lithium batteries - $949 each. $1898 Total (Ten Years) BTW, I purchased batteries with scratched cases for $1698.
    Twenty lead acid batteries - $100 each. $2000 Total (Ten Years)

The cost is slightly higher in this example for the lead acid batteries. However, in the desert heat where I live, it is uncommon to get two full years out of a lead acid battery. So I usually replace them at 18 months or so.

And this doesn't take into account the diminished storage ability of a lead/acid battery after a year or two. That 90 amp hour battery will only provide 45 amp hours when it's new. At the end of a year or two, the storage capacity is greatly diminished.

There are factors other than cost that come into play. To get 200 amp hours of usable power out of lead acid batteries, I'd need four of them which would weigh nearly 200 pounds. I can get the same power out of 48 pounds of lithium. And AGM batteries weigh even more.

And lithium batteries are 100% maintenance free. On a lead acid, you need to maintain the fluid levels frequently or risk damaging the batteries.

Jim
    It does make sense. It's a gamble as far as saving money goes but the weight savings and power generation definitely favours lithium.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have have BattleBorn batteries and couldn't be happier. I would recommend getting a better charger than the OEM. It will not charge high enough voltage for full capacity, it will work, but not optimally. This was confirmed by Battle Born tech. Also, if you ask, they will knock a few $ off, I got mine for $929 each; not much, but it helps.

One of my favorite features is that you can think a little out of the box on your mounting. The batteries don't care about their orientation and the low weight allows you to be creative. I have three mounted in the same footprint as one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inverter Project front .jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	14126
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopperud View Post
    I too have have BattleBorn batteries and couldn't be happier. I would recommend getting a better charger than the OEM. It will not charge high enough voltage for full capacity, it will work, but not optimally. This was confirmed by Battle Born tech. Also, if you ask, they will knock a few $ off, I got mine for $929 each; not much, but it helps.

One of my favorite features is that you can think a little out of the box on your mounting. The batteries don't care about their orientation and the low weight allows you to be creative. I have three mounted in the same footprint as one.

Name:	Inverter Project front .jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	14126
    What charger do you recommend?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post

Decide whether you want just a charger or an inverter/charger, then call either Battle Born or invertersRus. Both will give great advice and have options based on your budget. I chose a Spartan 3300 watt as I want to be able to power my whole trailer from the inverter.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In case you're curious Alan, I'm currently running a Magnum Energy MSH-3012 which is a converter (ac to dc) an inverter (dc to ac) that peaks at 3900 watts, and a 125 amp battery charger combined. In retrospect I'd actually prefer having a battery charger separate from the inverter, in case of failure I would just replace the one device.

Here's my setup in the front storage compartment, just because I like showing it off.
    You can see the 4 Battle Borns, the massive inverter and the dual solar charge controllers.
    I still haven't gotten up high enough to photograph the roof, but I have seven 165 watt solar panels (1155 watts) up there.

Pass the Kool-Aid Jim.

Name:	IMG_2938clu.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	14127
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopperud View Post
    Decide whether you want just a charger or an inverter/charger, then call either Battle Born or invertersRus. Both will give great advice and have options based on your budget. I chose a Spartan 3300 watt as I want to be able to power my whole trailer from the inverter.
    Excuse me ignorance but what do I have now? 399th. Looks awesome Dave.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post

I replaced the POS converter that GD uses with a Xantrex TRUECharge2 40 amp model. It actually does a much better job charging then the 55 watt (or whatever it is) OEM converter. I never saw more than 13.6 VDC charge voltage from the OEM converter. The Xantrex bulk charges at 14.4 VDC. They also have a 60 amp version, but once the batteries get past the bulk mode, the extra current doesn't help at all.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...harge-2-2.aspx

See my solar page at http://www.klenger.net/solar.html for details of my complete system.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast