Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Boondocker makes good charger too...

http://www.bestconverter.com/12-Volt...unt_c_264.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    I replaced the POS converter that GD uses with a Xantrex TRUECharge2 40 amp model. It actually does a much better job charging then the 55 watt (or whatever it is) OEM converter. I never saw more than 13.6 VDC charge voltage from the OEM converter. The Xantrex bulk charges at 14.4 VDC. They also have a 60 amp version, but once the batteries get past the bulk mode, the extra current doesn't help at all.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...harge-2-2.aspx

See my solar page at http://www.klenger.net/solar.html for details of my complete system.
    Now that I think about it, I don't see more than that either. My single 100 watt solar panel hits 14.4 though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
    Now that I think about it, I don't see more than that either. My single 100 watt solar panel hits 14.4 though.

I could charge the original battery with the OEM converter from my generator for hours and the battery would barely make it through the night when it was in storage (not in use). When I complete my solar/battery/inverter/charger mod, everything worked as expected.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
    Excuse me ignorance but what do I have now? 399th. Looks awesome Dave.

If you are using the OEM, it is just a charger. This charger is specifically designed for lead acid batteries and as such will not fully charge a lithium batteries nor will it charge as fast because a lithium battery charges at the full output of the charger without having to decease at the end. This charger will not harm the lithium batteries, it just would not be optimal.

I chose to get a combination inverter/charger and left the OEM charger in place to use in case of an failure of the inverter/charger. A good case could be made for getting a separate charger and inverter in that if one part fails, you still have the other available. I like the space savings of a single unit however.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone used the FuelZero LiFePo4 batteries? Same specs as the battleborn, including built in BMS, but are $200 cheaper per battery.
    2019 Momentum 381M
    2018 Denali Dually LB with B&W Companion puck hitch
    Polaris RZR XP1k and Ranger 900XP

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Finally decided to get the lithium battle born batteries

Quote Originally Posted by CFDWheeler View Post
    Has anyone used the FuelZero LiFePo4 batteries? Same specs as the battleborn, including built in BMS, but are $200 cheaper per battery.
    They are most likely coming from China. The BMS only has cell balancing. It's a gamble.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    They are most likely coming from China. The BMS only has cell balancing. It's a gamble.

It is my understanding that the components in the Battle Born batteries are also sourced in China, shipped to the USA, and the battery is assembled, tested and sold from California. So I'm not so sure what the difference would be other than the final assembly.

Jim

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    It is my understanding that the components in the Battle Born batteries are also sourced in China, shipped to the USA, and the battery is assembled, tested and sold from California. So I'm not so sure what the difference would be other than the final assembly.

Jim
    A lot of companies do that now. Just because you see USA on something keep reading, it could say assembled in USA not made in USA. The day of something being all USA is gone, the vast majority of products will have at least a portion of it from china.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    It is my understanding that the components in the Battle Born batteries are also sourced in China,
    shipped to the USA, and the battery is assembled, tested and sold from California. So I'm not so sure what the difference would be other than the final assembly.

Jim
    Parts from China, sure, like your phone and laptop and pretty much everything else that is sold in the US.
    However, BB's final assembly, the actual build process (the important part) is here in Reno Nevada.
    The major difference however, is the BMS, which is far superior to any other brand, plus the Battle Born warranty which is 3 years vs 30 days for the competition.
    Well worth the $200 price difference.

I've seen lithium batteries cheaper than that, coming from some unknown source overseas, assembled by sweat shop employees.
    Good luck shipping those back for repairs or warranty work. Good luck finding a warranty. Something as important as your power source that is going to
    undergo tremendous loads both incoming and outgoing should be as high quality as possible. This is not an area I would cheap out on.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Finally decided to get the lithium battle born batteries

FYI
    Battle Born just increased their warranty to 10 years.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast